New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

USB port problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pastelado

pastelado is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 5.1

Hello, i recently made a huge mistake. I bought a universal power source, you know the one that allows you to change the voltage and such. and it came with little adapters to mach the device youre going to use.

well i screw up, big time!, i connected a USB hub to the power source but i think i change the polarity, you know, the - and +, and it damage one usb flash drive, one portable HDD and 2 out 3 usb ports of my imac.

i know it was a stupid mistake, and probably damage the ports in my imac. Does anyone can help me?

please!

sorry about my english BTW

my imac specs:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version (system): 1.8f2
Serial Number (system): W86477C5VUX
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F2C68FD3
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

sounds like you are down to one working usb port

you are going to have to use a hub to connect your stuff from now on, and avoid mucking around with the electrical supply to your devices

you could try resetting the power management but it may not help

http://osxdaily.com/2010/03/24/when-...ontroller-smc/

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
pastelado

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
sounds like you are down to one working usb port

you are going to have to use a hub to connect your stuff from now on, and avoid mucking around with the electrical supply to your devices
yes, thats what im doing, but the port that works wont even reads a portable HDD, its like's working at 50%.

Can i replace that damage module of the imac? the one with all the ports... i know i can do it myself if it is possible...

what do you think?

The past is a construct of the mind... the heart wants to live in the present
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

Your only fix would be to replace the logic board. These are no longer available from Apple as your iMac is classed as vintage. The Late 2006 17" iMac is old now, it wouldn't be economically viable to fit even a used logic board unless you got it very cheap.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
pastelado

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiesteve View Post
Your only fix would be to replace the logic board. These are no longer available from Apple as your iMac is classed as vintage. The Late 2006 17" iMac is old now, it wouldn't be economically viable to fit even a used logic board unless you got it very cheap.
many thanks!

The past is a construct of the mind... the heart wants to live in the present
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Replacement Hard Drive Fan Runnin | 1TB Hard Drive Replacement Cost »