New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

The Intel Imac experiment- A real test

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
An article in Ars Technica says you can not at this time. The article has been posted several places on this site.
Yes, I got to that just after I'd posted the request. No windows for now, would have been interesting to mess around with but in no way essential (not for me anyway). No doubt someone will make a hack for it, in time.
QUOTE Thanks
Smartz

Smartz is on a distinguished road

Hi there all, having played around with the machine som more I have found some slight slowdown with the adobe applications. In particular these take some additional time to boot witht he spinning beach ball keep appearing!

I shall continue using my machine over the space of the week and give a more detailed review. The Intel machine is ultra quiet, compared to my G5 it is silent, also the intel machine has a stronger magnet holding the remote in place! That and a mini DVI on the rear are my first major notices!
QUOTE Thanks
earltash

earltash is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac G5, 20"- 2.1.Processor, 1.5 G Ram

Macs will now be junk.............Like PC's.
Guess Ya'll gunna have to go Unix...........
I am glad I got my iMac G5 without the intel junk chip......
My iMac G5 runs great with out no noise............
Hope it keeps up........
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Please explain that earltash. Are you saying that they will simply be junk becasue of the intel chip?

QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by earltash
Macs will now be junk.............Like PC's.
Guess Ya'll gunna have to go Unix...........
I am glad I got my iMac G5 without the intel junk chip......
My iMac G5 runs great with out no noise............
Hope it keeps up........
Have you been drinking that duff beer again...Homer !! :p
QUOTE Thanks
Smartz

Hi there, I will ignore those rather flaming coments about Intel, as a user of both types of IMac it seems like a stupid comment.

Having played about some more last nigth I have found out some more interesting things about the Intel machine. The Intel machine really struggles with games, understandably they run very choppy, so badly infact they are rendered unplayable. Command and Conquer genrals could not get a decent framrate established though I am yet to try Rolercoaster tycoon 3

I shall look into increasing the system ram int he Intle machine to see if this has any bearing on this performance. Another note is that the Intel machine is almost silent in running and runs no hotter than the G5.
QUOTE Thanks
zer0uk

Re the old G5 that you are using for benchmarking is it a recent build?
Just thinking the only real way of testing this would be to put a fresh install of OS x onto the G5 as the intel will be all new and free of crap .... Just a thought
QUOTE Thanks
Smartz

The G5 I am using is less than 3 weeks old and is near on untouched. The only change that was made was to uninstall one of the 512mb strips on the G5 is is a fair comparison. further investigation today is showing that the G5 runs all games fine were as the Intel machine struggles.

I did notice though that Front Row runs faster on the intel machine.
QUOTE Thanks
Jeremy W

Jeremy W will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G5

Here's a link from a review macworld did on the intel iMac.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/01/feat...est1/index.php

They found PPC applications running via Rosetta averaged a 50% reduction in speed...compared to the same applications running on a PPC machine.

Oh, and, aahh, I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to come in on Sunday, too...yeah
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Of course, those results are subjective. I opened PS on my system, an iMac G5, and it opened in 12 seconds.
Probably luck with my system. Anyway, I love my iMac, and only want a MacBook when it comes out :-) (Not the pro, the nice white one ).
QUOTE Thanks
earltash

earltash is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac G5, 20"- 2.1.Processor, 1.5 G Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
Please explain that earltash. Are you saying that they will simply be junk becasue of the intel chip?
No. It just seems they are all trying to get to run as one system now.
Macs act way to much like Windows now, and I have noticed a lot more problems with Macs. I now use Tiger. It has a lot of useless crap in it.
I liked 9.2, to bad they didn't keep going with it. This OS X Just acts way to much like running a PC (Windows).
I have the iMac with the G5. 20 inch 2.1 GIG with 1.5 Gig Ram.
My Bud has the intel.
His has 2 Gigs ram.
Mine runs so much better. Faster boots. Faster running of programs.
Maybe I got lucky and got a good one..?
They are both quite as a mouse.
Yes his runs a bit cooler.
Maybe in time the intel will out perform, but for now mine seems to run better.
Appls. we ran.
Office 2004, Photoshop, appleworks, Iphoto, iTunes, Toast titanium, Back roads explorer, Mozilla, Expander- dropstuff, Burn X, Limewire, A few games.
The iMac G5 did better.

http://www.geocities.com/earltashjr/EARLTHEPEARL.HTML
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

So all none of the Apps you tested were "Universal"? What did you expect?

Please explain how "This OS X Just acts way to much like running a PC (Windows)"....

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power Mac G5 Question | divx / xvid on intel iMacs? »