New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac mini problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

capohk

capohk is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
First post here...

I am using a Mac mini as an entertainment centre. I have a number of issues which I would like some help with.

Firstly, hooked up my new teac a-h01 through the USB and when using ITunes, I get about five seconds of correct playback before the sound distorts and becomes unlistenable. I played the same tracks from my MacBook without any problem so it is definitely the mini

Secondly, movies played back as .avi in QuickTime are very jerky

Any comments or advice greatly appreciated.

The model is A1347

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

System specs please. See signature below.

Also, QuickTime doesn't natively handle AVI files. Are you using the Perian plug-in? How are those AVI files encoded? You likely are better off just using VLC or MPlayerX instead. QuickTime just isn't very good at playing anything outside of .mov or .m4v/.mp4 even with plug-ins.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
capohk

Mac mini

OSX 10.6.8

2.4ghz intel core duo
2 gb 1067 MHz DDR3
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by capohk View Post
Firstly, hooked up my new teac a-h01 through the USB and when using ITunes, I get about five seconds of correct playback before the sound distorts and becomes unlistenable. I played the same tracks from my MacBook without any problem so it is definitely the mini
I assume these are music files. Do they sound normal when your MacBook is hooked to the Teac, or do you mean they sound fine on your MacBook's internal speakers? Have you tried plugging in some other kind of speakers or headphones to the Mac mini to see if the problem persists that way? Is the USB cable you are using 2.0 compliant?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
capohk

Yes to music files. Teac plays music from MacBook via USB lead in the way I would like mini to work.
Have downloaded VLC and is installed. Plays avi well and sound is output to tv via hdmi

Will not output sound to headphones or USB
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

If the headphones don't work, then chances are you have a hardware problem. But let's check your settings. Go to System Preferences, then Sound. Under Output, what options do you have? With the headphones plugged in, they should be listed as an option and even selected by default. Be sure they are plugged into the right port.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
capohk

Tried all options in sound preferences. All the correct options appear but sound is still output to tv via hdmi, regardless of what is selected
I am now convinced its a hardware issue. New sound card?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by capohk View Post
Tried all options in sound preferences
I am now convinced its a hardware issue. New sound card?
You can't really replace the sound card, but there are some that you can plug into the USB port. Here's one:
Amazon.com: Griffin Technology iMic USB Audio Device: Computers & Accessories

As a long shot, you can try reinstalling OS X just to rule out it being a problem with a missing kernel extension. Although... since the audio does work "briefly" out USB, I'm a bit skeptical on that.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac unexpectantly shuts down | Help 2007 mac mini not booting »