New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

PowerMac G4 PCI (Yikes!) RAM compatibility

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sm8000

I recently acquired a 512MB DIMM of PC-100 RAM and put it in a Yikes! G4. I got it to boot up once, then afterwards it would turn on but not boot.

Before: 256+128+128+128
After: 256+512+128+128

(where the first (256) is the innermost slot, furthest from the top edge of the case door)

In the "After" configuration, the OS only reported half (256) of that DIMM. I tried it in other slots, with and without some modules, but it would only turn on, not boot.

The DIMM has Samsung chips, k4s560832d-tc75. Google seems to think of this as registered RAM, yet this DIMM (I'm told) was running fine in an iMac 500MHz for several months.

Am I out of luck?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have a 350Mhz G4 Yikes here in my Mac collection. They were not made to support 512Meg Dimms. I tried several just to be sure and all did what you are seeing. If there were other dimms, 256 Megs would show up for that 512 Dimm, but if the 512 was in there alone it would not even chime. A lot of older computers will not support 512Meg Dimms. I have an Asus CUBX with Pentium III Copermine, and it will only support 256 Meg Dimms.

The Yikes will accept 4x256 meg Dimms for 1GB RAM. The Yikes used basically a G3 motherboard with the G4 CPU and some changes. It did not even have an AGP slot like the Sawtooth that followed it. The Sawtooth G4's support 512 Meg Dimms. I have one with 1.5GB ram.

http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g4.shtml
QUOTE Thanks
sm8000

Thanks, the incompatibility you cite is what others tell me on other forums, as well as Kingston and Corsair's RAM choosers (but not Crucial's, rather unsurprisingly). Guess I'll try and trade this for a pair of 256s out there. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
sm8000

Anyone know if this G4 will accept PC-100 ECC RAM? I have an offer to trade but I don't know if the board will cope with it. I also don't know whether the RAM is registered, or it the board will cope with that.
QUOTE Thanks
CanadaRAM

CanadaRAM will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm8000
Anyone know if this G4 will accept PC-100 ECC RAM? I have an offer to trade but I don't know if the board will cope with it. I also don't know whether the RAM is registered, or it the board will cope with that.
Almost certainly not. There's a slim chance it will just ignore the 9th bit and work, but apple usually states "must not be ECC, must not be Registered"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hot Deal: MAc Mini 1.43Ghz new for less than $400 at Compusa.com | Trying to install OS X on imac g3 400, wont let me... »