New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Replacement Hard Drive Fan Runnin

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

howardhonig

howardhonig is on a distinguished road

I just had the local Apple store replace my hard drive as part of the Seagate hard drive recall/replacement program. Now my fan seems to constantly run and is ridiculously loud. I didn't have this problem with the other (presumably faulty) hard drive. Is this normal? Should I bring it back? Any information is appreciated. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

n a terminal window type the following:
/Applications/Utilities/smcFanControl.app/Contents/Resources/smc -k F1Mx -w 2af8
For example, this will set the maximum RPM of the HDD fan to 2750.

The -k parameter is the HDD fan for the iMac. The -w writes the value of the RPM which is the hexadecimal representation of 4 times the RPM (i.e, 4 x 2750 = 11000 which is 2af8 in hex representation)

You have to run that line above each time you log in, so you might have to automate it.

SM

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardhonig View Post
Is this normal? Should I bring it back? Any information is appreciated. Thank you.
I would take it back…it's not supposed to do that. Let Apple fix it.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
howardhonig

howardhonig is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I think I will just bring it back in even though it's a total pain in the ***.
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

ChrisMan287 can only hope to improve

I'd bring it back too. That's definitely not normal.
QUOTE Thanks
Adric

Adric is a jewel in the roughAdric is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD

Try shutting the computer down and restarting it before you haul it back down to the apple store. I had my iMac repaired for a loud buzzing noise and they tested the fans. When they turned the computer on, the fans were constantly running full force (very noisy!). The guy at the genius bar just shut the computer down and restarted it and it booted back up normally.

If that doesn't work, then I'd go ahead and take it in.
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

As others have said, take it back to Apple. I suspect they forgot to plug in either the hard drive or LCD temperature sensor cable.

At work we've been undertaking an additional 4 - 8 1TB hard drive replacements a day as part of the program with no problems, it's straight forward work.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 cube worth it? | USB port problem »