Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Oct 31, 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4
    Specs:
    iMac - 2011
    Apple Raised the Price on Refurbished 2011 iMac
    Looks like all of them except for the base model 21.5" iMac just went up $60 from a day ago. Does this mean all the refurbs they are shipping out now are new 2011 stock that they are clearing out for the new models? Or is the supply just getting low so they are upping the price?

  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,391
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by wsympson View Post
    Looks like all of them except for the base model 21.5" iMac just went up $60 from a day ago. Does this mean all the refurbs they are shipping out now are new 2011 stock that they are clearing out for the new models? Or is the supply just getting low so they are upping the price?
    Be very very careful when coming to this conclusion. You have to doubly make sure the iMac's you are comparing are EXACTLY the same configuration. Sometimes the iMac's Apple offers in the refurbished section can be slightly different in configuration:

    - different graphics hardware
    - more ram
    - bigger hard drive
    - slightly faster cpu
    - etc.

    I don't think that I can ever remember Apple increasing the price on a refurbished computer (same exact configuration). Usually once the price is set…it's set. But I guess there can always be a first time.

    Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Oct 31, 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4
    Specs:
    iMac - 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Be very very careful when coming to this conclusion. You have to doubly make sure the iMac's you are comparing are EXACTLY the same configuration. Sometimes the iMac's Apple offers in the refurbished section can be slightly different in configuration:

    - different graphics hardware
    - more ram
    - bigger hard drive
    - slightly faster cpu
    - etc.

    I don't think that I can ever remember Apple increasing the price on a refurbished computer (same exact configuration). Usually once the price is set…it's set. But I guess there can always be a first time.

    Nick
    The mid-tier 21.5" selling for $1249 looks like the identical specs as a the one selling for $1189 a day ago. Same processor, same memory, same storage, same graphics card. I found it odd as well. That's why I'm wondering if these are all new machines they are selling as refurbished. My second thought was that demand for the 2011's increased after a number of Apple customers felt the 2011 was a better value model than the 2012 (after it was unveiled). Even at $1249 it's still a $250 price break on the the price of a new 2011 model.

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,391
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by wsympson View Post
    The mid-tier 21.5" selling for $1249 looks like the identical specs as a the one selling for $1189 a day ago. Same processor, same memory, same storage, same graphics card. I found it odd as well. That's why I'm wondering if these are all new machines they are selling as refurbished. My second thought was that demand for the 2011's increased after a number of Apple customers felt the 2011 was a better value model than the 2012 (after it was unveiled). Even at $1249 it's still a $250 price break on the the price of a new 2011 model.
    Usually when the price is set it's set. I can use a recent example of when Apple discontinued the 17" MacBook Pro's over the Summer. Whether the demand for 2011 17" MacBook Pro's was up or down (due to them being discontinued)…the price for them in the Apple refurbished section is still the same 4-5 months later.

    iMac's have far less reason for there to be any price changes due to demand (up or down). The iMac line is not being discontinued…just no optical drive with the new models.

    But I haven't been watching refurbished iMac prices as closely as you…so I'm sure you have a much better idea of what's going on. I'm just saying that it's very unusual for Apple to adjust the prices of refurbished computers…and if they did…the price would go down…not up.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    49,106
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Yesterday afternoon I was in the Navy Exchange at the naval base in Fort Worth and they still had both the 2011 21.5" and 27" iMac models in stock. No price change on either models regardless of the way they were configured.

    I agree with Nick, it doesn't make sense that Apple would raise the price on 2011 refurbished models. However, I do agree that what stock remains is going fast. If you see one, whether new or refurbished, buy it now.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2007
    Posts
    221
    I was looking at these yesterday (for optical drive) and wish I made a note of the prices.

    Not that it would help - the price today is the price today.

  7. #7

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,943
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I'd bet money that demand has surged, following the release of the thin (but somewhat crippled) 2012 models.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Refurbished iMac's on the Apple Store!
    By Dayvidpriddy in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-10-2015, 05:21 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-21-2011, 07:07 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 09:39 PM
  4. Price of a Refurbished 2.16 Core 2
    By flilow06 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 01:09 AM
  5. Macbook price raised?
    By Xshare in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-24-2006, 01:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •