New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Laptop to desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

klutchdust

klutchdust is on a distinguished road

I would like to update my wife's mac book to a desktop. It is 3.1 OS X 10.5.8 2.2GHZ Intel core 2 Duo 1Gb memory. I have no idea what that all means . She has pictures stored, some of her beekeeping business etc on there. Can they duplicate what she has on the mac book to the new computer so when she turns it on she will be familiar with what she sees.

iMac OS X 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Assuming we are talking about a new desktop…two things:

1. A new computer is going to "look" somewhat different…since going from OS 10.5 to OS 10.8…the OS has changed some.
2. Use Apple's Migration Assistant…to move files from the older laptop to the new desktop.

You also need to consider…that some or many…of the applications that run under OS 10.5…probably will not be compatible with OS 10.8. These apps. will probably need to be upgraded ($$$).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac 27" mid 2011 SSD Upg. | iMac G5 20" ALS Trouble »