New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Imac 2011 upgrade (SSD, memory ?)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LBM

LBM is on a distinguished road

Hi there, I have a IMAC 27" 2011 (2.7 Core I5, 4GB 1333 DDR3) and have been using Imovie a lot lately, keeping other software open (Safari, Mail). In this situation there are times when the computer stops for a while or gets slow for some time. I would like to know if by installing a SSD would eliminate the problema and, if positive, what would be the drive specification and how to install it (any tutorial ?). One other point, would additional memory would also help in this case ? If positive, what would be the specification ?

Thanks a lot in advance,
LBM
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Before you go down the SSD route, you should upgrade the memory to more than 4GB. You can go to a maximum of 32GB, and since you have 4GB (2x2GB) right now, you have 2 slots available, so I'd recommend the 2x8GB for 16GB, so you'll have 20GB total and see how well you fare..

With more available memory, you will need to go to your slow HD less for data since it'll be available in memory..OWC has 16GB available for $109.99..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Do as RazorEdge suggests and beef up the memory. Our model iMacs are designed not to be cracked by non Apple technicians. The hard drive has a proprietary heat sensing system built in that is not to be messed with. You do not give your location, however OWC has a service for installing SSD. You send the iMac in an d they send it back with the SSD. The only thing I have found slow was the boot process coming from a Mac Pro with SSD. o get around this purchased an iBox uninterrupted power supply, and just put the iMac to sleep.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1159...veupgrade.html

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
LBM

LBM is on a distinguished road

Hi there, thanks for your answers. One thing I have noticed, however, is that, according to the machine manual (the booklet that comes with the computer), tha maximum memory suported would be 16 GB. Is that correct ?

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I'm starting to have some problems with my iMac - does anyone recognize these symptom | iMac 27" mid 2011 SSD Upg. »