New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Advice greatly appreciated: old vs new imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mp3province

mp3province is on a distinguished road

Dear All,

I'm a long time lurker and this is my first post.

I am from India, and like everyone else, have been waiting for the new Imac. The new Imacs are only expected in India in say February/March 2013.

The price of the old 21.5 '' base Imac is USD 1151 (for this model: MC309HN/A, specs: 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB)

The expected price of the new base 21.5'' Imac is USD 1525

I only use my computer for basic needs, sometimes corel draw and Photoshop.

Would the old Imac be sufficient for my needs? Is the increase in price for the new model worth it?

I'm on a PC at the moment, been using this for 6 years with no issue (core 2 due, 4 gb ram, win7)....do you think the old one will be able to last the same time with no upgrades?

Is the screen in the new Imac much better than the old one?

Or I could even purchase an old base 27'' for USD 1630

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

For what you are doing right now on your PC, the current iMac is perfectly fine and allows you to upgrade memory if need be. The screen is essentially the same between the new iMacs, they are constructed differently, but the same resolution and all that..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The only drawback with getting a Mac is that you will have to install windows as well in order to use Corel Draw

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
mp3province

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Is there a big difference in GPU?

This is going to be my first iMac and I'm a little worried about making the switch. I've been a Windows user since the 90's, so a little hesitant to make the switch. How long did it take you guys to get comfortable with Mac OS?

Apple Care for 2 years in India is for USD 100. Shall I opt for this?

Again, help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks from New Delhi!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

It took me a few months to get comfortable with my Mac and be as productive as I was on my Linux machine prior to switching..but each person goes through it differently..it IS an entirely different OS with it's own quirks that you have to learn to use.

What makes the transition a LOT easier is to approach the whole thing with an open mind about what OS X does and how it does it as opposed to trying to make it do things the way Windows, Linux, what have you does things. You'll find yourself getting frustrated quickly with that approach..

By default Apple provides you with 1 year of Apple Care and you extend that for 2 more years before the first year expires. It's $169 in the US, so $100 is a great price at $50/year..you're spending a good chunk of money on the iMac, spending another $100 is a no brainer IMO...

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
mp3province

I think I will purchase the 2011 May Base 27'' and I will upgrade RAM and add a SSD (Will do it myself with the help of ifixit guides)

Would installing SSD drives void warranty? Can't I just remove the SSD drive before sending my Imac for repair (if it ever screws up)?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac 2009, possible problems? | Memtest report »