New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

New iMacs DVD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mdtorres

mdtorres is on a distinguished road

Anyone there knows if the new iMac models announced today comes with a DVD recorder as the previous models? I want to buy a new iMac because mine is almost 6 years old and need a replacement. But I was not able to find if the new ones comes with the DVD capability included as they are so thin!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The new iMac models are without an optical drive if that's what you mean. However, you can still burn DVDs and CDs if you attach an external optical drive. You will just need to have the proper software to do so.
QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

CanuckBoater will become famous soon enough

What's a comparable PC version of the iMac?

(but with built in optical drive)

Just received 3 disks of photos; was hoping to purchase the new Imac but don't want cable on my desk running to an external drive.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Over the years, many people have acknowledged that one of the "weaknesses" of the iMac was the optical drive. Perhaps having a vertical enclosure rather than a horizontal one may have been a factor. Whatever, there has been some displeasure with the drive.

Apple have decided to dispense with the optical drive, in part, to allow the iMac to be thinner. Their decision follows in the wake of the MacBook Air for example.

There are numerous good quality CD/DVD recorder/players on market. I rather presumed that the new iMac would include the appropriate software; but chscag who has forgotten more than I have ever learned about these matters suggests otherwise.

Even with in-built software, I have always preferred Toast Titanium by Roxio which does a great deal more than burn CDs & DVDs, but you have to pay for this.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
MacGrumpy

MacGrumpy is on a distinguished road

Surely one of the main points of the iMac is have everything in the same unit; that's one of the reasons I bought mine. Now I also have a video camera and am starting to send dvds to family abroad it's nice to have all the editing and burning facilities together.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGrumpy View Post
Surely one of the main points of the iMac is have everything in the same unit; that's one of the reasons I bought mine. Now I also have a video camera and am starting to send dvds to family abroad it's nice to have all the editing and burning facilities together.
With the proliferation of cloud services, I imagine that soon you'll be able to create all of your videos and then set them up in some cloud server and then pass along the link for others to view.

Apple usually takes a lot of heat for making decisions well before the general public is willing to make them and then gets praised for being trailblazers..

If your current Mac is in perfectly working condition, then surely there's no need to sweat the lack of an optical drive in the new iMacs and by the time it's time to upgrade, cloud storage will be dirt cheap and we'll all be using it..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power Button on the iMac | need help with somethin »