New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Need an effective method to swap everything from an old iMac to a new iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

feracuffz61

feracuffz61 is on a distinguished road

Hey Everyone!
I'm looking to swap iMacs with my parents. I have an older iMac (bought around 2008) and I want to move everything over to my parents newer iMac (bought around 2010), and from there move everything from my parents iMac over to my older iMac.

I have done tons of work on mine and have over 150 applications. The amount of work it would take to manually install all of these makes this swap not worth it. Is there a way to do this easily with time machine and an external hard drive, or any other way?

I desperately need the extra speed of the newer iMac for my video editing and my headphone jack has stopped working, which is pretty imperative for editing also. Would it be better to just invest money in more RAM and a repair of the jack? Since my parents have cleared me for this swap and only use their computer for email and Facebook then I think this is the best way to go. Let me know what you think.

I've included the hardware overview of both computers at the bottom. Humongous thanks to anyone that can show their skills and offer a detailed solution for me!

New iMac (Parents)
Model Name: iMac
Version: 10.6.8
Model Identifier: iMac11,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i3
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.64f5

Old iMac (Mine)
Model Name: iMac
Version 10.8.2
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.30f1
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If you have a Time Machine backup for each machine, then you can do a fresh install of the OS and bring back the stuff from the Time Machine backup you want on that machine

You can do a fresh install of 10.8 by creating a boot disk

OS X Mountain Lion: The Mac-Forums Guide | Mac-Forums Blog

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
feracuffz61

feracuffz61 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help! Any way i could bother you for some details on how to do this? Will this keep both systems exactly the same?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Honestly, I would suggest using two external HDs and Carbon Copy Cloner. You really ought to have a bootable clone any way. You can use migration assistant to do the final restores.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fan control for G4 15" aluminum PowerBook | Flashing folder »