New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

2009 mac pro wont power up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nelo36

nelo36 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 17" 320GB hdd 2 Gb Ram DVI Alu + Mac Pro 2x2.26 quad

i have just bought a second hand mac pro 2x2.66 quad zeon 2009 model
powered up yesterday all fine tried to switch on today got nothing just the power button led is on took the side off and tried the diagnostic button telling me i had power but the thing stil wont start unplugged every thing off the back board still nothing re seated the ram still the same could any one advise a course of action so i can get the box going am using a windows keyboard and mouse which worked fine yesterday

thanks in advance

nelo unhappy bunny
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Is the power light on the button coming on then fading away

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
nelo36

hi sorry no the led is not on behind the power button
only the led above the power button

regards
nelo
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Sorry that's what I meant

If it is fading away then the first thing to consider is the internal battery, its a small cheap part, easy to replace so is a good starter candidate, you can get them from Maplin ( its a CR2032 type)

Lithium Coin Cell Battery CR2032 : Coin Cells : Maplin Electronics

And here are the instructions, replace that part and tell us if that fixed it

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacPro_Battery_DIY.pdf

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
nelo36

hi
i have had the box open and when i switch on the socket there are 2 led's that flash once
and thats it i have been talking to the company where i bought it from and they are going to take it back and check and repair the item so will wait for them to return it
and hopefully will be all ok
fingers crossed

thanks

nelo
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Suggest they check out the Power Supply.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
nelo36

finally got the MPro back from the sellers told me it was the power button but they could find one for a 2009 pro they put it in another case and had it on test and all ok when i get it back its doing the same thing again 2 red led's flash when the socket is switched on and nothing on the front at all no white led for the power button pressed the Diag button and the amber power led lights up same as before stripped the case out HDD and processor board and still nothing does any think it may be the psu because if it is i will just get one myself and aske the sellers for a reimbursement as i dont want to send it back to them again
has any one got any ideas whet i could try

thanks in advance
nelo
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Well apart from suggested power supply, using a surge protector by any chance or tried it in a different power point? At any rate take it back as their repair sure sounds ****ey.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
nelo36

cheers HarryB going to call them when are open but will replace int battery first to see if its just something stupid if that's no good back it goes and i will want it working when it gets back problem is they will probably put a second hand PSU in it which will prob go again could any advise where i could get hold of Mac Pro parts early 2009

thanks in advance

nelo
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

This is the type you need. This will give you some idea of price. Apple Dealers here charge around the $400 mark fitted.

661-5011 Power Supply 980 Watts for Mac Pro Early 2009 A1289

QUOTE Thanks
nelo36

cheers Harry B i finally got a foc replacement from supplier fitted all powered up Ok
but now nothing on the display saying nothing is plugged in the fan is spinning on the vid card
just nothing showing
could any one advise if i have done something wrong or do i need to do something to get it working

thanks
in advance

nelo
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini or new iMac what do you think? | Malware »