New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Graphic Design Student with questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

flickx1

flickx1 is on a distinguished road

So I am, like the title says, a graphic design student. I am looking to upgrade but I'm stuck between an Imac and mac pro. Im on a budget of 3,500. So i can easily afford a maxed out 27'' Imac, and an average mac pro without the monitor.

I plan on using it for school (adobe photoshop, illustrator, indesign,dreamweaver, etc) and also gaming. Which i would plan to configure bootcamp to run windows when i needed to. For what i plan on doing, is it smarter to just get the imac now (or next week after the rumored update launches) or wait for the mac pro and save up, which is rumored to get an update next year.
QUOTE Thanks
flickx1

So I am, like the title says, a graphic design student. I am looking to upgrade but I'm stuck between an Imac and mac pro. Im on a budget of 3,500. So i can easily afford a maxed out 27'' Imac, and an average mac pro without the monitor.

I plan on using it for school (adobe photoshop, illustrator, indesign,dreamweaver, etc) and also gaming. Which i would plan to configure bootcamp to run windows when i needed to. For what i plan on doing, is it smarter to just get the imac now (or next week after the rumored update launches) or wait for the mac pro and save up, which is rumored to get an update next year.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Please don't double post. Threads merged.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If you need an imac now then get one, and whatever you do dont max out the RAM on the Apple store, get the installed RAM and source an upgrade yourself from Crucial or Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
flickx1

sorry new to the forums, found a better spot to post my question, and its nothing i need right away...and thanks for the tip on the ram, but if i have time to wait should i wait, or just go ahead and purchase one or the other
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you're a graphic design student, you probably don't have any need of a Windows program. So that should save you quite a bit of money.

At the moment, the iMac would be the smarter purchase (well, perhaps waiting till whatever happens next Tuesday). And we have NO idea when (apart from "2013") the next Mac Pro is coming out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Desktop Mac's | powermac g5 »