New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

imac SuperDrive Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cazkids

cazkids is on a distinguished road

Ok im a newbie so forgive me. I have a imac running osx version 10.75
Bought new in 2009with dual intel process. The problem i am having is with the superdrive.
It will read most cd/dvd's but one of them it will just spit it back out. I originally thought it was a problem with the disc, but it reads just fine on other imacs and macbooks. As well as other windows machines. The disc itself is recorded in a .VOB format, inside a VIDEO_TS folder. I thought the problem was the file extension, so i downloaded VLC player and installed. Still no change. I insert the disc and after 5-10 seconds the disc ejects
Can anybody help????
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Be aware that iMacs, together with MacBooks and Minis, use a slot loading optical drive and these do have a high failure rate. With new iMac purchased a cheap Samsung optical drive and connect by USB and hoping this will save the internal optical drive.

The very devil taking apart later model iMacs.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Adric

Adric is a jewel in the roughAdric is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD

It could also be a dirty laser lens. You can buy laser lens cleaners from most any electronics store. They look like CD's with brushes on the bottom and they typically cost about $10.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Lens cleaners typically do not work. It's best to buy a can of compressed air and blow several short blasts into the drive slot. That will clean a dirty lens just as well and won't damage it as some lens cleaners do.
QUOTE Thanks
Steve Austin

Steve Austin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mid 2010 27" 2.93GHz Intel Quad Core i7 iMac 12Gb Ram OS X 10.8.5

When the superdrive failed on my old 2007 24"er I just bought an external drive (Samsung) and all was well with the world again.
But, you will need 2 usb ports (one to power it and one for data transfer) so get a powered usb hub while your at it (if your going down that route that is).

Steve Austin.
A man barely alive.
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him.
We have the technology.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video playback issues | 2007 iMac, A1208, vertical lines. Any fix? Or screwed? »