New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Using nonApple monitors with the Mac Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rdswinford

rdswinford is on a distinguished road

Ten year Windows user attempting to convert to MAC- frustrated with Windows instability.
Need a monitor with wide gamut capability -NEC PA271w- for Pro Photography. Reading that MAC Pro may have difficulties with profiling the wide gamut monitor (I currently have an
older Apple Cinema linked to a Win system) and really don't like the idea of using the sRGB space of the iMAC or MAC Pro.

If I have read incorrectly or the newer monitors are better, please correct. What can I anticipate if I try to link another manufacturer's monitor withthe MAC Pro? Any experiences? I am not a wizard with hardware- I had one with my Win system but he retired.

Thank you.

Rhttp://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac.../Undecided.png
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

That monitor will be fine, don't know what you are worrying about

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
rdswinford

Thankyou. I know the monitor will be fine, but reading from older posts (couldn't anything recently) the Mac system would not let a monitor like NEC's be profiled correctly so as to use the full gamut. Didn't want to run into what we needed to do with the Win-Mac hybrid I had before. My Cinema display is >6yrs old and aging.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

What are you using for calibration?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I don't know where you heard that Macs cannot utilise color calibration properly, they have had colorsync installed since the 1990s

You could use the supplied software or also use a calibration device to create a custom color sync profile

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
I don't know where you heard that Macs cannot utilise color calibration properly, they have had colorsync installed since the 1990s

You could use the supplied software or also use a calibration device to create a custom color sync profile
Yep, even with that monitor I tend to use sRGB colorspace anyway. It's what the lab I use uses.. which means the prints match. Also, very few monitors support AdobeRGB colorspace, so it's useless producing web media outside sRGB at any rate.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
rdswinford

I am using i1Display. True enough re: the web and sRGB, but for printing my own I want to work in Prophoto or at least AdobeRGB. Found somethings on Luminous-Landscape forum, LL had a workshop within the last year that showed a MAC system with NEC monitor.
Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Simple question - new iMac hard drive configuration | imac Intermittant Internet »