New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

wireless mouse slow to connect

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jnb

jnb is on a distinguished road

Even with new batteries my wireless mouse takes an eternity to connect to my new iMac. If the computer is up and running and I turn on the mouse it will never connect. If I turn on the mouse and then wake up the computer by pressing a key or turning on the keyboard, the mouse won't connect for a minimum of 30 to 60 seconds or may never connect at all. The mouse is a foot in front of the computer. What's up? By the way, how long does it normally take?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Hello,
Are you actually turning off the mouse by the on/off switch? It's best to leave it turned on and 'Discoverable'.

Further, if you are still having problems try deleting the device from within Bluetooth Preferences and adding it back in. There are also some Advanced preferences you may wish to check.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
jnb

Yes, I have been turning it off. Won't leaving the mouse on use up the battery quickly?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnb View Post
Yes, I have been turning it off. Won't leaving the mouse on use up the battery quickly?
Well I don't have the figures for it's quiescent (resting) state but it's likely negligible. This is Apple's comment "Even when its on, Magic Mouse manages power efficiently, by detecting periods of inactivity automatically".

What you are seeing happen by constantly turning it off and on is a repeated disconnect/ discovery cycle which does't happen instantly.

You've got a new iMac which is a huge investment so I would cut yourself some slack and just leave the mouse turned on otherwise you are spoiling the experience. As we say in Blighty "Don't spoil the ship for a half-penneth of tar"

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Follow pendlewitch good advice. Never turn my iMac or kb, mouse or trackpad off. They all sleep and save power.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jnb

Thanks for the advice! I left it on when I went out this morning and it came up just fine this evening. I really was making more work for myself. Have a good week!
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Great news jnb !

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac failure | Raid card »