New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

hard drive limitations on Mac Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

daveat22

daveat22 is on a distinguished road

Are there any limitations as to the size of hard drive you can put in a Mac Pro?
I am running OSX 10.8.2 with two quad core Intel.
I have had problems with a 3TB Seagate Barracuda HD which made the Mac inoperable, take it out and all is fine again.
I would like a 3TB HD so wondering whether to put the Seagate in a caddy and buy a WD in its place?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Do not think external caddy would achieve much as an external drive will be nowhere near as fast as say a drive in Bay 2. I think the problem is with your Seagate drive. Have a look at this link about running 3TB Hitachi's in a Mac Pro.

MPG - Desktop Hard Drives - Hitachi 3TB Deskstar 7K3000

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ancient MacPro out of date, what can I do? | A cost/technical spec comparison between the Mac mini and Imac »