New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

MacPro vs. iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Derek P

Derek P is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OSX Lion; iPad (3rd gen.) 32GB WiFi; iPod touch (3rd gen) 32G

I'm thinking of getting a desktop Mac that can be used for gaming as well. The new MacPro's seem way over priced but there is a refurbished model for $1859 with the following specs:
One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processor
3GB (3 x 1GB) of 1066MHz DDR3 ECC memory
1TB Serial ATA 7200 rpm
18x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5 memory

There is also a refurbished iMac for $1659 with these specs:

iMac 27-inch 3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics with 1GB memory

The iMac is less money and seems to have a better graphics card but does the MacPro have a better processor. The iMac also isn't as expandable.

Looking for some advice... Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

MacTracker will tell you the Mac Pro comes in at 5300 Geekbench tests and the iMac at 8100, quite a difference. In your position would go for the iMac and self install an additional 4/8GB memory from OWC. Personally went from an 8 core 2.66 Mac Pro to a June 2012 iMac and the iMac is as fast except for boot times as the Mac Pro ran an SSD boot drive.

To offset this run the iMac through an uninterrupted power supply and do not shut down, just put to sleep.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
MacTracker will tell you the Mac Pro comes in at 5300 Geekbench tests and the iMac at 8100, quite a difference. In your position would go for the iMac and self install an additional 4/8GB memory from OWC. Personally went from an 8 core 2.66 Mac Pro to a June 2012 iMac and the iMac is as fast except for boot times as the Mac Pro ran an SSD boot drive.

To offset this run the iMac through an uninterrupted power supply and do not shut down, just put to sleep.
Totally agree.
My iMac runs FPS games with no problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Derek P

Derek P is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OSX Lion; iPad (3rd gen.) 32GB WiFi; iPod touch (3rd gen) 32G

Thank you for the feedback. Sounds like the iMac is the way to go. I wonder if Apple will update it soon as it is well overdue!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
I wonder if Apple will update it soon as it is well overdue!
Many of us have been wondering this…for a longggg time!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G3 only reads some discs?? | Second Monitor With iMac »