New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Broken emac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rufioe46

rufioe46 is on a distinguished road

Hi peeps. ive owned my emac g4 (the masive white one) for some years now it broke a few years ago so it went into the loft. a few days ago i realised that i had photos and music files etc so i brought it down from the loft but when i turned it on the screen was blank but it made the usual mac sound when switching on, My question is can i retrieve the information thats stored on the hardrive? as i really dont want to loose all thats stored on there.

Many Thanks

Chris
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufioe46 View Post
My question is can i retrieve the information thats stored on the hardrive? as i really dont want to loose all thats stored on there.
Sure. Remove the hard drive…install it into an external hard drive case…then plug it into a USB port on another Mac.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

If the eMac boots and is chiming, there's a chance that the fault may only relate to the display. If so you can start it connected to another Mac in target firewire mode and access the HD without dismantling.

If that isn't possible, you'll need an ATA case for the drive, not the more popular SATA type.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
rufioe46

rufioe46 is on a distinguished road

ok so im a total amatuer at computers but want to do it all myself. can anyone explain exactly what i have to do and explain what a ATA case is please. dont want to pay someone to do it. Learn by doing. ive found a step by step link for removing the hard drive just need to know what to do after its removed
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Find an ATA external case on eBay and hook it up to your other Mac, pop in the eMac drive and see if you get an image of the drive.

This is what you are looking for a USB ATA case.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/External-...ht_2552wt_1141

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac pro, big failure, won't boot. | Migration assistant »