New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Reccomended mac cleaning software....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alexbaker

alexbaker is on a distinguished road

Hi All.
Can anyone please advise on the best most reliable Mac cleaning software.
Free download or buy on line job ???.
I have read several items advising not to download MacKeeper but lots of people including my local iSolutions shop advise its good to use.

Can anyone PLEASE advise which is the best to have..!!.

Many thanks .
Alex
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Hi, you are right to ask the question before you dive in. I think we've all stopped beating around the bush here with MacKeeper and would advise that you absolutely DO NOT install it.

Lots of forum members use and recommend the free app ONYX as an enhanced maintenance tool but to be honest you will find everything you need in your OSX for example Disk Utility.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
alexbaker

Many thanks for the advise... Where would i find the Disk Utility ?.
Sorry but im not 100% 'offey' with the working of computers.
All i know is the apperance of the multi coloured spinning icon is more frequent.
Cheers..
Alex

Hi again.
Ive just noticed that CCleaner is now avail for the Mac.
I use this on my Laptop and fine it quite good.

Anyone use it ?

What about 'cleanmymac'

Any good ?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbaker View Post
What about 'cleanmymac'

Any good ?
Do a search on the forum for these apps and see what stories have been told about them.

you honestly don't need them.

I found a thread for you here MacBook Running Slow

You will find Disk Utility in your Applications folder..open it, highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click 'repair disk permissions'. Go and put the kettle on as it may be some time.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
QUOTE Thanks
alexbaker

Allways rather nervouse about that kind of thing,
What will it do ?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbaker View Post
Allways rather nervouse about that kind of thing,
What will it do ?
Hello again,

At some point you are going to have to bite the bullet , OSX's Disk utility (repair disk permissions) and Onyx (using staff cwa107's advice in the link I provided) are upright methods for enabling a smooth running experience on your Mac.

The blue spinning wait ball can mean quite a few things but generally it's a sign that your apps are temporarily unresponsive, or they have entered an unrecoverable state, whilst you could have virtual memory problems with too many things on the go (Force Quit the unresponsive ones by right clicking the icon in the dock) together with heavy browsing patterns etc.

You'll have to start somewhere though.

QUOTE Thanks
alexbaker

OK.
Just downloaded ONYX.....

Maintenance: Permissions: Excecute ?

Is that all i need to do ?

It wont blow up will it ???

Wife'll kill me if it goes wrong as she uses it for work...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Make sure you downloaded the correct version of Onyx for your version of OS X. They have a separate version for each version of OS X.

Automation tab - I check off everything in the Maintenance and Cleaning section - I check nothing in the Rebuilding section unless there is some specific problem. I only run it about once very 2-3 months as I begin to notice the spinning wheel more often.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
alexbaker

OK.
I get the cleaning bit....

What does:

repair permissions
&
Excecute maintenance scripts mean/do ?

Just want to be sure.

Oh yeh...Downloaded Snow Lepoard....My Mac is about 16 months old.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

I am a great fan of OnyX.

As stated, you must download the version for your OS (Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion0.

When you open the app, it will automatically verify that your HD has no problems. Hit "continue" till it has done this and then you will be asked for your admin password.

Then a new window opens up. From the Menu, choose Automation Tab and check the boxes as bobtomay advises.

At the bottom of the window is a ? in a circle. Click on it and it will tell you exactly what each action does and means. Once you start the process, let it complete naturally. DO NOT abort or otherwise terminate the programme prematurely.

OnyX is hugely popular with the forum community and can be trusted; but as with all things, make sure all your software updates are current and that your backups are ditto, before you start.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

About Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions feature

(Typically, you can safely ignore all returns of permissions not repaired - there are a few hundred (known) that it will do nothing with)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Think of Onyx as similar to Bill Cosby's classic story of buying a sports car and a mechanic telling him to get it on the open road and open her up 'to get the gunk out'.

Onyx gets the gunk out.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Migration assistant | iMac G3 only reads some discs?? »