New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

What's Wrong With My Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lukebussey

lukebussey is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
I'm new here so if I'm posting in the wrong section or something, be nice

Okay... I got given a Mac (which I'm told was obtained brand new in 2006/7) which I don't know the model of, as it supposedly "stopped working".

I'm told by the people who gave it to me (not very tech savvy) that it started making loud fan noises, getting hot - getting "weird screen issues" and having the screen "go blank".

I don't know much about Macs but know my stuff with PCs in general.

I'm guessing the system fan failed (can I replace this cheap?), causing the GPU to overheat.

I'm trying to leave it off so as to not damage any components, but turned it on once to see what happened.

It posted fine, made the usual musical noise (no visual problems up to this point, screen works fine supposedly), and then booted into OSX, where it had TONS of visual artifacts, and I can barely move the mouse.

The CPU, RAM, and HDD are all obviously working, and so hopefully not damaged!

What do you reckon is wrong? How much to fix it?

If you need any pictures or information please reply or PM me!

Thanks,
Luke

P.S - screenshot attached, icon labels blurred out in grey for privacy of person who gave me the mac.

QUOTE Thanks
lukebussey

Encase it helps you determine the model, I'm not 100% positive but from general examination and the supposed specs on the base of it, I think the specs are -

1.9Ghz Intel
512MB RAM (it says 512, anyway, so I'm assuming that)
160GB HDD (says 160, assuming...)
It has an iSight camera (well, a camera on the front anyway)
White plastic & glass, NOT metal
screen looks about 17", but the mac itself is a square
2 firewire, 3 USB, 1 kettle lead, 1 ethernet, and one mini display port (I think)

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Looks to me like the Graphics Processor is going south. Not familiar with 17in iMacs, will do some checking.

EDIT: The only 1.9 GHz CPU I can find in a 17in iMac, was in the G5 version, which wasn't an Intel processor. The G5s were prone to overheating issues, which was one of the main reasons for the switch to Intel.

EDIT2: Unless the problem is uber-simple and cheap, I wouldn't bother trying to fix an iMac of this vintage. If you keep your eyes open you can probably pickup a fairly recent vintage iMac for not much more than the cost to repair (and depending on what you have to replace) possibly much cheaper than the repair.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I would agree with RazorMac. You can double check though by plugging in a monitor.

Flip over the iMac and read the bottom of the stand, it should have a model number and the specs listed.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
lukebussey

Thanks for replying

I'm not positive it's an intel - so it probably is a G5, which would explain it!

I have monitors to plug in, but none of them use anything other than VGA, DVI, or HDMI - no DP (if that's what the mac uses, it looks it) - any ideas?

If it turns out it is the GPU when I find a monitor to plug in (I'm pretty sure the mac's internal screen is fine, as there's no problems with the POST, Apple logo and rotating thing etc - can I replace the GPU easy/cheap?

all replies really appreciated - and comments acknowledged about not being worth it (but I may have an Apple hyped person who's blindly in love with macs and would pay stupid money for it )

EDIT - Sorry, I neglected to mention the fact that the bottom doesn't seem to state anything other than the serial number and RAM replacement instructions ETC...

EDIT 2 - Is the GPU dedicated do you know, or would I have to replace the WHOLE logic board? If it's dedicated I can probably chuck in some Nvidia 400 series (supposedly perfect comparability)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

You have a 17" iMac G5 ISight with 1.9Ghz Power PC G5. Video issues on those last iMacs with the isights were not normal at least in my experience. I own the 2.1Ghz 20" version of your machine. Video is fine.

That screen shot sure looks like the GPU is going. The GPU is part of the logic board and cant' be removed.

Since the fan for the Video area of the board died it could have fried the GPU.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of

You'll need an adapter to plug in a secondary monitor, can't remember which adapter you'll need though.

To "repair" the GPU, you have to replace the logic board, which won't be a cheap fix. Expect to spend $2-300+ for a replacement, which is more than the iMac is worth.

QUOTE Thanks
lukebussey

$2 sounds good to me If I could get a logic board for $2 lol

yeah the max these go for it $200 apparently so you're right, even as low as $200 for board isn't worth it

what would you recommend I do? salvage parts? sell as S/R? Sledge Hammer?

and great community here I really do appreciate your answers, they help allot
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Your best bet would probably be to sell it as parts. You might get $200 for it that way.

QUOTE Thanks
lukebussey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Your best bet would probably be to sell it as parts. You might get $200 for it that way.
Wow, that sounds good to me! What would you recommend I do? take it apart and sell parts individually or sell the mac as a whole?

Thanks,
Luke

EDIT - I forgot to mention - I know it's not the screen definitely now as the GPU problems change each time I boot, and this time there were no artifacts and everything rendered fine, it's just the cursor moved at about 0.2 FPS this means the GPU still kind of works... but is dieing sure there's nothing I can do like buy an X600 chip or whatever it is they use in these and solder it on? I can solder fine, and have all the equipment and knowledge.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

I would use a system disc and repair the B-tree and preferences ...see if that straightens out the video issue. Some video issues are caused by the system being messed up...no one did any system repair for many years. Then move on to hardware issues.
QUOTE Thanks
lukebussey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
I would use a system disc and repair the B-tree and preferences ...see if that straightens out the video issue. Some video issues are caused by the system being messed up...no one did any system repair for many years. Then move on to hardware issues.
Good idea I didn't even think of that

Do you know what version of OSX I should install (clean install)? does this mac support new versions like mountain lion?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

If its a PPC Mac you stuck..want run the Intel OS's. Noticed all that stuff on the desktop. Start and through that stuff out...could be the source of corruption.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac 24inch Logic Board or Video Bad? | iMac G5: Sell it broken or try to fix it? »