New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Which MP refurb

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Germany_chris

Germany_chris has a spectacular aura about

So which one would you choose?

I make short web movies for the internal news channel, design posters and banners and the like in Ps, certificates and such in Ai, nothing really processor bound to the point where processor power is it. I need 16 to 24GB of RAM really nothing special..

I'm thinking I'm going to go completely baseline because in all reality if I upgrade it'll be to a 6 core and not a faster 4.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-09-27 at 9.59.15 PM.png (84.4 KB, 14 views)

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Of the two I'd have to go for the 3.2GHz model, but I'm waiting for the refresh hoping they add Thunderbolt and USB 3.0.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Of the two I'd have to go for the 3.2GHz model, but I'm waiting for the refresh hoping they add Thunderbolt and USB 3.0.
None of my computers have USB3 so all my external starage is USB2/eSATA..TB will be way cool in 4 years but it's not really in my decision process..

Though I do understand the I'm not buying anything until it's modern justification..heck there are hackintoshes out there with 2 TB ports USB3 ports and eSATA ports..

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

As Razormac mentioned…if you can hold out…there's been rumors about new Mac Pro models. It's been 2010 since we've seen a truely new (non-server) Mac Pro model. Of course the question is when…and assuming that your budget can handle the price of a new Mac Pro model.

But of the two models you listed…I would also go with the 3.2ghz model. More ram…faster cpu.

- Nick

p.s. I'm also confused about how the Apple store is identifying the two Mac Pros you listed. The 3.2ghz Mac Pro is really a 2010 model…not a June, 2012???

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Remember they were spec bumped in the summer..using the same classic processors..

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
Remember they were spec bumped in the summer..using the same classic processors..
Yeah you're right. I was checking Everymac.com…and they only listed the new Server Mac Pro 12-core models…but there were some custom configuration quad-core speed bumped 2010 Nehalem models.

The conventional wisdom/rumors still say that some new Mac Pro models will be out soon (potentially the last of the Mac pro's). So if you're in the market for a new Mac Pro…it might be kind of special to purchase the last of the line.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

My feeling is that they'll be gone next year..

The can have the last of the Power PC and the last of the MP line. It'd be kinda cool :0)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro and Mountain Lion, Memory Limitations? | networking an old g4 to a new iMac »