Specs:
    late 09 mac mini, core 2 duo 2.53, 4 gigs 1330 DDR3, 320 Gig HD, Samsung external DVD Burner
    Cool Upgrading a late 09 mac mini

I have a late 09 mac mini and was wondering if it would be worth the trouble to go to 8 gigs of ram and install a 750 gig HD also replace the broken optical drive. I'm good at these things so thats no worry, I was just wondering if I would see drastic changes or not that much. BTW whats the largest HD that will fit in a late 09 mac mini does anyone know.
    Thanks in advance for any replies

Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    I also have a 2009 Mini. Replacing the optical drive is possible but not easy. It needs a special cable to connect the hard drive to the logic board as the optical drive uses a special SATA cable/connector.

8GB of RAM is a excellent idea though.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    I would definitely upgrade the ram and hdd, but I would skimp on the internal optical. You could probably buy an external for less than the cost of the original...less work too.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Not a lounge subject. Moved here to the correct forum. Please take note of our forum descriptions before posting.

Specs:
    late 09 mac mini, core 2 duo 2.53, 4 gigs 1330 DDR3, 320 Gig HD, Samsung external DVD Burner
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Not a lounge subject. Moved here to the correct forum. Please take note of our forum descriptions before posting.
    Moved where. There's no link to a new room

Specs:
    Can you use the cable that's already in mini or do you have to buy a new one, also with the other two upgrades does the mini pick up a lot of speed or not.
    Once again thanks for the quick reply.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by DomDroid View Post
    Can you use the cable that's already in mini or do you have to buy a new one, also with the other two upgrades does the mini pick up a lot of speed or not.
    Once again thanks for the quick reply.
    The optical drive sits in a special bracket that connects to the logic board, and it is connected directly to that bracket. You have to buy a special cable to connect to the bracket.

Removing the optical drive for another hard drive isn't going to add any speed. If you put an SSD in, then it would. As for the RAM, it all depends on what you do with your computer.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    The location of every thread is shown at the top of the page.

After you have logged in, you can also use the "My Posts" link on the menu bar at the top of the page.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Cool Moved
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    The location of every thread is shown at the top of the page.

After you have logged in, you can also use the "My Posts" link on the menu bar at the top of the page.
    So it moved me automaticlly, cool I thought I had to do something to go and find it.

Specs:
    Cool Special Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    The optical drive sits in a special bracket that connects to the logic board, and it is connected directly to that bracket. You have to buy a special cable to connect to the bracket.

Removing the optical drive for another hard drive isn't going to add any speed. If you put an SSD in, then it would. As for the RAM, it all depends on what you do with your computer.
    So you cant use the one thats on the bracket, you have to buy one that goes inbetween them then. Got ya. Not much really no gaming or anything like that, I gues my next question would be could you do HD with the mini then I could go out and buy a Blu-Ray drive and watch HD movies, I love HD movies, could you recommend a software thats compatible with snow leopard.
    Thanks for all your help and time btw.

Specs:
    I'm not sure if there is software to play Blu-Ray movies on a Mac. There may be something now, but last time I checked, a few months ago, there wasn't.

Thread Information