Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   iMac G3 only reads some discs?? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/285387-imac-g3-only-reads-some-discs.html)

kilo_17 09-26-2012 12:00 AM

iMac G3 only reads some discs??

Hello everyone! I just got a Strawberry iMac the other day, and I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why it won't read a burnt disc! Ex., a burnt CD with some (legally purchased) music isn't recognized by the computer at all. Although, if I put a driver disc or something like that in, it recognizes it no problem.

Specs:
iMac G3 333mhz,
Mac OS 9.0.4,
256mb RAM,
6.4gb hard drive,
Tray Loading CD ROM drive,
and finally, I'm using CD-RW discs.

Thanks for any help you can offer, and sorry if this is in the wrong section :)

Mac SK 09-26-2012 12:17 AM

ISO9660 is a format for cross platform CDs.. It does not support long file names or saved directory that are now on most new music CDs. Red Book is the original standard format in which an audio cd must be recorded. A CD recorded in accordance with red book standard can be played in any CD-Player. Just like every thing the industry keeps tweeking and some new CD want play in old Macs. Try to update QuickTime as far as you can for your OS. Use CD-R Disc.

kilo_17 09-26-2012 12:25 AM

Awesome, I'll try to update QuickTime tomorrow. I used the music CD as an example, but the computer fails to recognize any and all burnt discs I've tried so far, be it music or whatever. Any idea what would cause this?

Mac SK 09-26-2012 12:29 AM

What burning software are you using..on the Mac or on a PC. Use Toast on the Mac.OS disc on the Mac have to be in HFS. HFS CDs can only be recorded in multivolume NOT multisession.

kilo_17 09-26-2012 08:45 AM

I've used both ImgBurn on Windows 7 (for a disc image I was trying) and I've booted into Snow Leopard on my Hackintosh and burnt the same image with the built-in burner using what I thought was the correct format. Oh yeah, I know you mentioned I use CD-R discs instead of CD-RW discs, is that important, or will I be able to get by with CD-RW discs? I don't have any CD-Rs laying around. I'll give Toast a shot after school today.

Mac SK 09-26-2012 01:53 PM

Thats your issue...The settings on your burn software. Music disc need to be in ISO. A software disc for PPC Mac has to be in HFS. Yes I would use CD-R. RW are rewritable..could be issue with older Macs.

kilo_17 09-27-2012 08:54 PM

I gave up--just too much trouble to go through. I'll just stick with OS 9, which leads me into another question. How do I open smi.bin files? I'd like to be able to update to 9.2 from 9.0.4 and install iTunes 2.0.4..I got the files but I can't figure out how to run them..it treats the .smi files as QuickTime files and when I click them it says QuickTime ran out of memory. I have access to both Windows and Snow Leopard (made myself a Hackintosh) if need be.

Mac SK 09-28-2012 12:11 AM

In your burning software on the PC...you should be able to create all kinds of disc in different formats from a pull down window. You should be able to burn the OS9 updates to a HFS format CD the Imac can read. On the Mac you would need Unstuffit to open the updates..but they will over whelm the Mac.You have to burn your on CDs . You really need the Disc Images for the OS9 update and create CDs in HFS. Or just buy a retail 9.2 disc...if you can find one.

kilo_17 09-29-2012 10:33 PM

Well, I finally got OS 9.2 and iTunes on it :D, although it required a little workaround. I'd like to get OS X on it, but I cannot, and I mean cannot get this thing to boot from any CD. I got as far os the OS X installer wanting to restart to begin the installation process, and when I do so it reboots and starts booting into OS 9.2!

harryb2448 09-29-2012 10:38 PM

Has it ever had OS X.2 Jaguar or later installed? if not you must update the firmware whilst running OS 9 and then try to boot and install OS X.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1395

kilo_17 09-29-2012 11:01 PM

As far as I know, it's never had OS X on it, it had OS 9.0.4 when I got it. I ran the firmware update file and it said that the firmware is up-to-date. In case it helps, I've tried booting the CD from Open Firmware and I've gotton a few errors like "read of block0 failed" and "can't open the DIR device".

Mac SK 09-30-2012 12:52 AM

Click on the apple logo and open system profiler and check that the boot rom is 4.1.9. If you insert the OSX CD (it has to be a retail version..not an upgrade) hold down the option button on restart a window will ask you to select the boot option..CD or Other wise you hold down the C key on start up.

kilo_17 09-30-2012 09:15 AM

Well, there's kind of a disappointing ending to this thread..I was getting ready to try to install OS X again..turned the iMac on, and it would turn on really quick and shut off. So I pulled the board out, reseated the RAM and whatnot, tried it again, and when I turned it on I heard a couple little crackles and it started smelling pretty bad :/. My guess is something that had to do with the display or the PSU, since the smell was coming from there. Ah well, thanks for the help guys, I apreciate the effort!

Mac SK 09-30-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilo_17 (Post 1453783)
Well, I finally got OS 9.2 and iTunes on it :D, although it required a little workaround.

The Machine may not be dead. The short come on go off is the sign of the firmware being messed up. Kinda makes a zap sound when you push the on button. Or its the back loop PS. Wait like 2 days and crank the machine again. If it boots up its the firmware messed up. Also try and unplug the HD and see if it starts up to the flashing ? mark. If it does the firmware is messed up.

kilo_17 09-30-2012 01:31 PM

Alright, I'll hang onto it for a few more days..although I'm not holding my breath because I have a feeling something burnt up 0.0