New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac G3 only reads some discs??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kilo_17

kilo_17 is on a distinguished road

I'm shocked, you were right, it's not dead! Plugged it in today and it booted right up. With the hard drive unplugged I get a blinking Mac sign and a ? going back and forth. Also, since it's a tray-loader I think the latest FW version is 3.0, which it says it has, so I don't think that's where the trouble lies. Still can't boot from the CD, holding C at startup doesn't make a difference, and holding Option doesn't bring me to a Startup Menu..it just boots like normal.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo_17 View Post
Alright, I'll hang onto it for a few more days..although I'm not holding my breath because I have a feeling something burnt up 0.0
Imacs have that smell inside...unless you saw smoke..Try to unhook the hard drive and see if you get a flashing ?...if it still zips it like burnt up. Good Luck.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I'm shocked, you were right, it's not dead! Plugged it in today and it booted right up. With the hard drive unplugged I get a blinking Mac sign and a ? going back and forth. Also, since it's a tray-loader I think the latest FW version is 3.0, which it says it has, so I don't think that's where the trouble lies. Still can't boot from the CD, holding C at startup doesn't make a difference, and holding Option doesn't bring me to a Startup Menu..it just boots like normal.
You should of told us its a try loader. The firmwares messed up, thats why it wouldnt restart. When you installed 9.2 it has to be a universal install or a install for that Imac. Something about the way or the CD you made with the OS9 on it is not right.

check the firmware version in Open Firmware: immediately after powering-on your iMac, hold down the 4 keys: Apple-Option-O-F. At the top of the screen you should see the Boot ROM version and the date. The version numbering is a bit odd. Here are the common firmware versions for the tray-load iMac:

3.0.f3, build date 12/02/98
3.0.f10, build date 03/05/99
3.0.f2, build date 04/23/99 (this is the 1.2 firmware update)
3.0.f3, build date 07/16/99 (if you have this then you are really up-to-date; no further action required!)
QUOTE Thanks
kilo_17

Ok, so I'll start with the CD I made, it appears it was meant for a Power Mac G4, so that probably didn't help, although it installed without any problems. I'll check the firmware soon, I'll update the post as soon as I find out.

Update: OK, looks like it's got version 3.0.f2 build date 4/23/99, so there's 2 out of 2 problems..machine specific OS version and not up-to-date on FW. I can't find the file for version 3.0.f3 or else I would update it..what do you suggest I do from here?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Its in this big list Older Apple software downloads
You have to update to run X up to 10.3.Has to be on CDs not DVDs..retail versions not grey disc.

Also here http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1263
QUOTE Thanks
kilo_17

Ok..so before I try to update, is the 1.2 update file under 'Utilities' the right one?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Quote:
Ok, so I'll start with the CD I made, it appears it was meant for a Power Mac G4, so that probably didn't help, although it installed without any problems.
If its a machine only disc you didnt get all the system stuff for your Imac.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Quote:
Ok..so before I try to update, is the 1.2 update file under 'Utilities' the right one?
Go here has instructions iMac Firmware Update 1.2: Document and Software
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

How if it says no update needed. You will need a retail OS 9 disc to take the machine to 9.2.1. That where the point 3 comes from. If you had tried an universal install from the disc you made you would of got the last update to go on to X. If you lived next door we would have this machine fixed.
QUOTE Thanks
kilo_17

Ok..going to try the update right now..post back in a minute.
QUOTE Thanks
kilo_17

Yep, still says that the FW is up-to-date..so that shouldn't be a problem. Will switching to OS to a retail verison fix the not booting from CD issue?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Quote:
Yep, still says that the FW is up-to-date..so that shouldn't be a problem. Will switching to OS to a retail verison fix the not booting from CD issue?
Ok I think the system tome got messed up with the CD you made. Did you make the CD a boot CD? You may be stuck..with out the right disc to fix it as you would remove the HD and nuke it and put it back and start over. I would put a PPC version of Linux on it At least you would get a newer browser in Linux. You could try to just download the Mac point update and burn to a CD and see if it upgrades some more. You would need to be at 9.2.1 to install X. With the boot CD to run the machine on restart its going to boot from the HD..your like stuck.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Do you want to try a clean install with the CD you have. Will the installer run on the desktop? Youll check the box (clean install) and (Custom install) n the list at the top is OS9...over on the right is a arrow click the drop down and choose (universal install) Run the install and see want happens. May make things worse or better. Good Luck.
QUOTE Thanks
kilo_17

Ok..made a retail CD..installed fine and in the process of updating to 9.2.2..I'll try to boot with the CD after that.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Made a CD? Interesting.

If all goes well then go into the firmware update link, update to 4.2.9 and then use OS X.2/OS X.3 retail install DVD to install OS X. o not use a silver grey disc from another computer.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Reccomended mac cleaning software.... | MacPro vs. iMac »