New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Considering buying a Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive bay):

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

afxtwt

afxtwt is on a distinguished road

I am considering buying a PowerMac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) computer, the January 2003 revision with firewire 800, and 167MHz FSB.

I will buy this old computer for the fun factor, and will probably run 10.5 on it and for the hell of it, install 10.2 or something and make a 100GB partition for that. I will use it for storage as well as an internet computer.
Things I will install:
> RAM: 2GB
> CPU: Dual 1.8/5GHz kit purchased online
> HD drive 1: 1TB SATA drive with a SATA to ATA100 convertor. (a 500GB IDE interface drive from seagate costs $500 on ebay. decided to just get a convertor, probably enough space to fit one in the computer)
> HD drive 2: 1TB SATA drive with a SATA to ATA100 convertor. (a 500GB IDE interface drive from seagate costs $500 on ebay. decided to just get a convertor, probably enough space to fit one in the computer)
> I will place some fans on the harddrives.

Things I have questions on:
> PCI slot 1: Can somebody send me an amazon link to a cheap USB 2.0 PCI card compatible with this mac?
> PCI slot 2: Can somebody send me an amazon link to a proper airport extreme g card? Can netgear cards with 802.11n be in the PCI cards?
> AGP 4X slot: Due to this ancient standard, what is the biggest, most powerful graphics card I could get for this slot that is compatible with this computer?
> PCI slot 3: I'm pretty unsatisfied at the 2GB limit, are there anyways to plug in more RAM with the PCI slot? (NOT for storage, for it's intended purpose).

Thanks to those who still remember these machines, and can help me on this endeavor.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Looking at all the money your are going to throw at it, get an Intel iMac or Mac Pro.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
afxtwt

afxtwt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Looking at all the money your are going to throw at it, get an Intel iMac or Mac Pro.
I need a PowerPC computer because I need to run os 9 on it. This is only a media server. I need more than one harddrive.

Intel iMac: I need more than one harddrive.
Mac Pro: These still go for $500, and still need a harddrive.

How about a PowerMac G5? I heard they're terribly loud, but at least they have SATA and USB2.0, and will I be able to install a USB3.0 express card on these? What is the harddrive size limit on the last 2005 model?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard drive S.M.A.R.T status failing after brand new HD swap? | Need info on Video/Graphics card upgrade »