New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Issue with iMac and iPad 2 (fighting over IP Address)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ImacVR4

ImacVR4 is on a distinguished road

Hello fellow Mac users,

I am a newbie to this forum and was hoping someone can shed some light on my issue that has been lingering for about two weeks now.

Hardware:

iMac (mid 2011) MAC OS X Lion 10.7.3
iPad 2
Motorolla SB5101U SURFboard Modem
D-Link Router WBR-2310

Issue:

A few weeks ago, my iMac pretty much started the "Self-Assigned" IP Address issue out of the blue. I took my Mac to the Apple Store and of course the wifi connected flawlessly to the stores router with no issues; yet the problem persists with my home router.

I've completely a bunch of steps for a possible solution with the information that I found over the internet to no avail. I have:
  • Hard reset my D-link router and re-configuring it using a WPA2 security.
  • Restarted my modem/router hundreds of times.
  • Renewed IP Address
  • Did the Terminal procedure.
  • Tried to find the plist file that Apple Support mentions but its not there.

Temporary Solution:

So today I used the iPad2's IP Address since that and the ps3, and TV were able to pickup the wifi with zero issues. I manually entered the IP Address, DNS, Router, Domain, etc. and it worked finally. BUT now my Ipad2 will not link up to the internet and after a recent update, it is stuck in some reboot mode.

Can someone please help me sort this issue out?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
ImacVR4

ImacVR4 is on a distinguished road

Looks like I figured something out. I basically reset my router again and then allowed my Ipad2 to use the automatic IP Address it was being assigned. I then went into my iMac settings and gave it a random IP Address by adding a few numbers.

Everything seems to be working now
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to add more GB to iMac? | iMac 24" and Ram question »