New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Extra Video Card for a G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andrew_fenner

I would like to run the video output of my Mac G5 on 2 monitors instead of just the one.

Can anyone reccomend a video card that would allow that? I have aquired an old PC (see previous post) which has an extra video card which can run 2 monitors. Can I canabalise this machine for it's video card?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

No, a PC video card won't work.

Anyway, the stock video card in every PowerMac G5, and even in most PowerMac G4, is capable of driving two screens. All you need is the appropriate adapter.
Depending on which card you have, you have either one ADC and one DVI connector, or 2 DVI connectors.
There are adapters from ADC to DVI, and ADC to VGA (depending on which one you need), so you can easily hook up a second screen.
QUOTE Thanks
andrew_fenner

Thanks. According to my manual I have an ADC and a DVI connector. It came with a connector to change one of them into a VGA, but I don't know which one!

Basically, the adaptor fits on the shorter od the 2 connectors (the one on the left as you look at it from the back). I think this is the DVI one. Where can I get a ADC to VGA adaptor from?

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Here, for example:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1299

But there are many other places. Yes, the adaptor that came with your Mac is DVI to VGA. The ADC connector is the one with rounded edges, and no screw holes to hold the connector.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't hook up second firewire drive | Help! Switching to Mac! »