New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Thinking of Switching to mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aqau

Okay, I am planning on getting a new computer some time soon. I currenty have an HP with Microsoft Windows XP Proffesional and I was debating whether or not I should switch to mac. If i did I was thinking about getting the iMac G5. But then, I was also thinking about just getting one of the new HP's with the Windows XP Media Center Editions...those look pretty cool. I was just wondering if you guys could give me some good reasons to go with the iMac.
Thanks a lot,

Aqau:confused:
QUOTE Thanks
aqau

Also, why doesn't the iMac have a modem. can i add one, and how much do they cost?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nMore=MA034Z/A
QUOTE Thanks
aqau

Are there any stores i can go to to just like check out the imac, cuz i haven't seen any sotres that sell them
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

http://www.apple.com/retail/

http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

go for a mac. dont crash and compatible with a lot more things than windows. i currently have an ibook g4 and a compaq windows machine. i prefer my ibook g4 generaly.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by christm
go for a mac. dont crash .........
EVERY computer can crash, even Macs.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

hondagus87 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: New MACBOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by christm
compatible with a lot more things than windows.

I disagree, if Macintosh was more compatible than they would be the majority leader. I agree they are compatible with most things, but I have to say that Windows is the leader on that one.

To the main point of this thread, what is it that you want to do with your computer? Why are you looking at getting a mac all of a sudden? What is wrong with the computer you have now? Why not keep the computer you have now, and get a macmini, and a kvm switch, that way you are only out 500 bucks, if you decide you don't like macs?
QUOTE Thanks
earltash

earltash is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac G5, 20"- 2.1.Processor, 1.5 G Ram

Mac- U get to use it.

Windows- U get to fight with it.

Any other dumb questions- DA.

http://www.geocities.com/earltashjr/EARLTHEPEARL.HTML
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

Seriously Do the Switch. I did, Compatibility shoudlnt be a factor. As far as Games...You just have to buy them through apple...or Compusa...or who ever sells MAC Versions. But with software. %75 of Software has Mac Specs on it, the other few % you just have to find the Mac Version of it. I havent had a problem yet, i have the Mac mini....my Windows Laptop Crashes and gets virus' atleast every other day.

Sucks but oh well
QUOTE Thanks
aqau

Well thanks a lot for you help...i did just realize that i really do hate windows. i know this forum is all about mac, but does anyone know anything about linux.
QUOTE Thanks
aqau

i mostly use my computer for making animations (a hobbie, use macromedia Flash MX) , the internet, im learning web design and other things online/chatting with friends, some games, and doing random things. And the thing is, i am at my business using this computer, and i spend a little too much time down here so im getting a computer for myself
QUOTE Thanks
aqau

nevermind don't need to know anything about mac... I've made my decision, im swithcing to mac. just don't know what computer to get yet
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting those fans to come on-iMac G5 | iMac G5 Sound Output Device question »