New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Is this MAC PRO Desktop a good buy ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Balsat

Balsat is on a distinguished road

Is his MAC PRO Desktop (released January, 2008) a good buy ?

1000 GBP (Pounds)

Apple Mac Pro Xeon 64-bit workstation

- Mac OS X 10.5.8
- 2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processors
- Total number of Cores: 8
- 12Mb On Chip Level 2 Cache Per Processor
- 1.6GHz Bus Speed
- 4Gb DDR2 800MHz RAM, 8 FB-DIMM Slots Support up to 16Gb Memory
- NVidia GeForce 8800GT Graphics with 512Mb VRAM, Cinema 1680 x 1050 Resolution, 32-bit Color Depth
- 2 x 500GB Serial ATA 3GB/s Hard Drive Storage
- Six Hard Drive Bays in Total (4 Open)
- 2 x SuperDrive (DVD and CD Readers/Writers)
- 2 Firewire 800 ports, 2 Firewire 400 ports, 5 USB 2.0 Ports
- Intel High Definition Audio In & Out - 1/8-Inch Jacks, Front Headphone Minijack & Speaker
- 2 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet Ports

with
Monitor: Cinema Widescreen 20-inch Display and Apple FCP Keyboard - used
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Welcome to Mac-Forums

That's not a bad machine at all, but if you have a £1000 limit or something, you can look at the refurb Apple store and see these two iMacs (one and two)..

With the refurb store you're getting newer hardware for cheaper than brand new prices..

If you're REALLY interested in getting a Mac Pro only..then check this one out.

Check out all the currently available Mac's here: Refurbished Mac - Buy Refurbished Mac Products - Apple Store (UK). This list changes constantly..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Balsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Welcome to Mac-Forums

That's not a bad machine at all, but if you have a £1000 limit or something, you can look at the refurb Apple store and see these two iMacs (one and two)..

With the refurb store you're getting newer hardware for cheaper than brand new prices..

If you're REALLY interested in getting a Mac Pro only..then check this one out.

Check out all the currently available Mac's here: Refurbished Mac - Buy Refurbished Mac Products - Apple Store (UK). This list changes constantly..

Thanks for your reply...

I am very new to mac forums... or mac machine for that matter. Iam quiet good at windows systems. But mac is very new to me.

This question may seem to be very stupid.... But i just wanted to check..

How can i check if this systems all hard ware (monitor, HDD, Graphics, RAM is / are working perfectly before i do a buy of this machine ?

I remember one of my friend who was saying to me that if a machine was used too much for heavy video editing work in the past making a full utilisation of power of the mac system, it is not worth to buy that system as seconds. Is that true at all ????

As i said, iam very new to mac

In simple words, Does heavy usage of machine in the past define the future working of machine ??? Please advise.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

First of all, a computer (apart from the HDD) doesn't have mechanical wear and tear that would cause a used machine to fail if it previously spent time as a workhorse. There is no truth in that, fairly uneducated, statement.

You can run the Apple Hardware Test (Mountain Lion edition) to check on the integrity of the system..

But used machines (unless you buy from the refurb store or if within the 3 year Applecare period) usually have no warranties and are sold as is, so that's a risk you'll have to take..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

This Mac Pro matches the spec for the early 2008 model, so if required is capable of running Mountain Lion, Apple's current OS. Earlier Mac Pro's won't. If you buy make sure you are given the 2 install DVD's, although Leopard is getting a little old now and is no longer supported by Apple. If you plan to upgrade you'll need to hunt down a retail copy of Snow Leopard (10.6.0 or 10.6.3). Memory for these Macs are more expensive than used in current Machines, you'll pay about £98.00 + VAT for a 4GB kit from Crucial, as I gather you must be in the UK through quoting GBP in the buy price. Still a nice Mac.

Steve Bell
Aylesbury, UK
QUOTE Thanks
Balsat

Thanks guys for your feed backs.... I am yet to decide on buying this... Will let you all know if i buy.

Any other comments are always welcome

thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Honestly, unless you need the heavy duty graphics capability and if you already have a Monitor and Keyboard, you may be better served for the money by one of these.
Mac mini - Buy Mac mini Online - Apple Store (UK)

And, if you wait a bit, it is highly likely by the end of the year the Mac Mini line will be updated to include USB 3.0

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Balsat

Folks -

Can people once again confirm that Mountain Lion (latest version of Mac) can be installed on this 2008 version of Mac Pro ?

Quote:
Apple Mac Pro Xeon 64-bit workstation

- Mac OS X 10.5.8
- 2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processors
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Look at: Apple - OS*X Mountain Lion - Read the technical specifications. and the section marked Supported Models to see what Mountain Lion supports..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
Balsat

Can you please have a look at this ?

Mac Pro - Early 2008 Model Worthy Buy ?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsat View Post
Can you please have a look at this ?

Mac Pro - Early 2008 Model Worthy Buy ?
Better than posting…"Is this Mac a good buy…and that Mac a good buy?"…just go to:

Mac2Sell

Enter the computers specs…and see what it says. Sometimes computers will sell for more or less…but it's decent "ballpark" number.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Balsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Better than posting…"Is this Mac a good buy…and that Mac a good buy?"…just go to:

Mac2Sell

Enter the computers specs…and see what it says. Sometimes computers will sell for more or less…but it's decent "ballpark" number.

- Nick
I dont think this website is working - Mac2Sell - Guide to used Mac, iPad, iPhone & iPod - Evaluation - Argus Mac, iPod, iPad, iPhone Occasion

I wish you left the OP thread as it is rather than being removed.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
The Mac2Sell website is working fine for me.

Quote:
I wish you left the OP thread as it is rather than being removed.
Actually I could have sent you a warning for starting a 2nd thread that was just a continuation of this thread. Having multiple open threads for the exact same topic is not necessary (and frowned upon).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Balsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
The Mac2Sell website is working fine for me.

Actually I could have sent you a warning for starting a 2nd thread that was just a continuation of this thread. Having multiple open threads for the exact same topic is not necessary (and frowned upon).

- Nick

Actually the site opens, but i am unable to proceed further to get a quote.
Browser - IE

Also i believe in humans than websites or machine who can provide more valid info.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Also i believe in humans than websites or machine who can provide more valid info.
The majority of the senior members (if not all of them) use Mac2Sell for pricing used Macs. So any number we tell you, is most likely going to come from Mac2Sell anyways.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Monitor Recommendations? | SSD Confusion...? »