New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

New Mac Choices

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

emlyanne

emlyanne is on a distinguished road

With my career choice, it appears as if I am going to need to come over to the dark side.

This is my final semester as a senior in college.I will be receiving my bachelor's degree in Arts Technology (graphic design, video editing, web design, etc..) As I have been searching at a lot of current jobs throughout the design industry, I have found most to want 'Mac savvy' employees. While I have always worked on Mac computers in college, I am currently using Windows at home.

On the Mac, I would use programs such as Adobe AfterEffects, Premier, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. AfterEffects' demo slowed down my Windows laptop to a snail's pace when I had used it. I hope that will not to be the case with the new Mac.

I have done a few online searches, but have found several different answers to my question: What mac system should I choose? Some say iMac, some say Mac Pro (which makes me cringe to at the price.) There was a student in one of my classes that had used a MacBook Pro. Then there's the i5 or i7, and GHz choice.

Thank you in advance, Mac gurus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emlyanne View Post
With my career choice, it appears as if I am going to need to come over to the dark side.
I'm sorry...but when you post on a Macintosh oriented internet forum...the Macintosh computer platform is NOT considered the "dark-side"!

As far as the computer choice. The first thing to decide is do you need the portability of a laptop? So the first decision is laptop or desktop??

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
emlyanne

emlyanne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I'm sorry...but when you post on a Macintosh oriented internet forum...the Macintosh computer platform is NOT considered the "dark-side"!

As far as the computer choice. The first thing to decide is do you need the portability of a laptop? So the first decision is laptop or desktop??

- Nick
After I have grown up with Windows over the ages, it is hard not to take sides. I will admit however, the mac computers at school are nice.

I believe a desktop would be of more use. I have a Windows 7 laptop that I can use for web browsing and e-mail. A desktop would be able to store more information, would it not?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The Mac Pro is very upgradable and able to sport a lot of large HD's for storage. The iMac is capable of a single HD and can go as high as 2 TB. The MBP are come to the same size but you can remove the optical drive and get a second HD.

Either way, if storage is your primary concern, an external drive will work with whichever Mac you choose..

Based on your budget, choose the most Max you can afford..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by emlyanne View Post
After I have grown up with Windows over the ages, it is hard not to take sides. I will admit however, the mac computers at school are nice.

I believe a desktop would be of more use. I have a Windows 7 laptop that I can use for web browsing and e-mail. A desktop would be able to store more information, would it not?
I would have checked the specs on the Macs at school and looked up the price online. That will give you a good point to start. Performance vs Price.

Not necessarily. You can always just use an external storage device. IE. Thumb drive, external SDD etc as Raz0rEdge has nicely pointed out.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
chappers

chappers is on a distinguished road

I run a lot of the programs you listed ( not InDesign though) on a 2 1/2 year old 27" iMac with no problems at all. I must say that I prefer FCPX to Premier, but that's just the way I work.

Mac Pro's are slatted for an upgrade next year ( about time) and it's expected the iMac will too,( Rumour only). So if you are looking at a MacPro I'd try and wait for that.

If you can I would opt for the 27" iMac. This is particularly useful for editing. You get more "Real Estate" which is useful.

There is not much of a price difference between the 21" iMac and the 27" so the 27" may be the better option if you go down this path. You have to decide if the processor upgrade is worth the extra. I'd definitely up the memory, but this may be better done with 3rd party memory as Apple does seem expensive at times.

I'd also look at storing most of your data on external drives. You can quickly fill up an internal 1 TB, or 2Tb , and Thunderbolt drives are slowly coming down in price, alternatively opt for a Firewire external drive.

Now this is just my suggestion for what I do, yours may be different. However look at your budget and see what seems a good option. Opt in the original machine those things that can't be easily or cheaply upgraded, mainly processor and hard drive. Memory is easy.

\Good luck with the decision making
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro 3,1 would not switch on - heat related maybe? | iMac problem »