New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Using my (new to me) PowerMac G5 2.5 Quad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rfomlover

rfomlover is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 2012 i7 13" MBP & PowerMac G5 2.5 Quad 8GB QFX

So, I have got to say, this computer is very nice and fast! Here are some things I have noticed so far in tonight's use:

Pros:
-Youtube is pretty quick
-Leopard is pretty quick
-Graphics Intensive Applications such as Google Earth run decently
-Performing normal tasks such as web browsing, email, and the like are very speedy

Cons:
-Miss out on new OS X features that I use daily on my MBP
-Lack of support for new programs that I use daily on my MBP my most missed program being Skype, I know I could probably get an older one but I like the new one
-Cannot run steam so no Counterstrike, Team Fortress, and the like
-No App Store

Conclusion:
Overall this is a superb computer for normal tasks and once Logic Studio 8 finishes installing I am sure that this thing will run that so well and Logic is mainly what I purchased it for anyway.

So on to the specs:
Quad 2.5GHz G5
8GB DDR2 RAM
Quadro FX 4500 with 512MB onboard RAM
500GB SATA HDD
SuperDrive
OS X Leopard 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

You have identical specs to what my PowerMac G5 had, even with it being 7 years old now, they still have quite a bit of life left in them as long as you don't need to use any Intel-Only apps.

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The older version of Skype is available here

Old Version of Skype 2.8.0.659 Download - OldApps for Mac

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Andz200zx

Location: Somewhere inside the White Glowing Apple... meh actually the UK
Andz200zx is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2x MacBook 5,2 4GB 64GB SSD + PowerMac G5 Quad2.5 + iPhone 3GS 8GB + iPod nano 2+3 4GB + iPod 4 60GB

Great buy. I bought a similar model this time last year as my first desktop, but sold it a few months ago for double I paid for it! Maybe if you take good care of yours, you can sell it for a good price when its time to upgrade as there still is a high demand for them.

PowerMac G5 Quad | iPad 16GB | iMac '11 21.5" - QC i7 2.8Ghz 1TB HD - 4GB | iPhone 3GS | MacBook 5,2 - 2.16 C2D - 3GB - 160GB HD | MacBook 5,2 2.0 C2D 4GB 64GB SSD | iPod nano 2nd gen 2GB (broken) | iPod touch 8GB 2nd gen (stolen) | iPod nano 3rd gen 4GB
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomlover View Post

Cons:
-Miss out on new OS X features that I use daily on my MBP
-Lack of support for new programs that I use daily on my MBP my most missed program being Skype, I know I could probably get an older one but I like the new one
-Cannot run steam so no Counterstrike, Team Fortress, and the like
-No App Store
None of these "cons" should come as any surprise. The cons are totally a result of this computer not being able to run an OS newer than OS 10.5.8 (because of the PPC architecture).

So to me...these really aren't "cons"...they're limitations. It's an 8 year-old computer...and any 8 year-old computer is going to have limitations.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I love my G5s and will never get rid of it unless it dissolves into a pile of dust...which will be properly disposed of in a river

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
rfomlover

rfomlover is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 2012 i7 13" MBP & PowerMac G5 2.5 Quad 8GB QFX

I got the skype. Thanks. Also, yeah unfortunately mine is all bent up from shipping on the exterior, but the interior is fine and it runs beautifully. I think it is safe to conclude that my hard drive was damaged from shipping since it kept getting corrupted but no bother, I put another in as I have plenty of spares runs great.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My First Mac - PowerMac G4 1.25GHz DP MDD. Have questions. | AU effects »