Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   Using my (new to me) PowerMac G5 2.5 Quad (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/282229-using-my-new-me-powermac-g5-2-5-quad.html)

rfomlover 08-17-2012 01:06 AM

Using my (new to me) PowerMac G5 2.5 Quad

So, I have got to say, this computer is very nice and fast! Here are some things I have noticed so far in tonight's use:

Pros:
-Youtube is pretty quick
-Leopard is pretty quick
-Graphics Intensive Applications such as Google Earth run decently
-Performing normal tasks such as web browsing, email, and the like are very speedy

Cons:
-Miss out on new OS X features that I use daily on my MBP
-Lack of support for new programs that I use daily on my MBP my most missed program being Skype, I know I could probably get an older one but I like the new one:[
-Cannot run steam so no Counterstrike, Team Fortress, and the like
-No App Store

Conclusion:
Overall this is a superb computer for normal tasks and once Logic Studio 8 finishes installing I am sure that this thing will run that so well and Logic is mainly what I purchased it for anyway.

So on to the specs:
Quad 2.5GHz G5
8GB DDR2 RAM
Quadro FX 4500 with 512MB onboard RAM
500GB SATA HDD
SuperDrive
OS X Leopard 10.5.8

MacDude121 08-18-2012 11:18 AM

You have identical specs to what my PowerMac G5 had, even with it being 7 years old now, they still have quite a bit of life left in them as long as you don't need to use any Intel-Only apps.

louishen 08-18-2012 11:42 AM

The older version of Skype is available here

Old Version of Skype 2.8.0.659 Download - OldApps for Mac

Andz200zx 08-25-2012 04:30 AM

Great buy. I bought a similar model this time last year as my first desktop, but sold it a few months ago for double I paid for it! Maybe if you take good care of yours, you can sell it for a good price when its time to upgrade as there still is a high demand for them.

pigoo3 08-25-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfomlover (Post 1437941)

Cons:
-Miss out on new OS X features that I use daily on my MBP
-Lack of support for new programs that I use daily on my MBP my most missed program being Skype, I know I could probably get an older one but I like the new one:[
-Cannot run steam so no Counterstrike, Team Fortress, and the like
-No App Store

None of these "cons" should come as any surprise. The cons are totally a result of this computer not being able to run an OS newer than OS 10.5.8 (because of the PPC architecture).

So to me...these really aren't "cons"...they're limitations. It's an 8 year-old computer...and any 8 year-old computer is going to have limitations.

- Nick

iggibar 08-25-2012 12:19 PM

I love my G5s and will never get rid of it unless it dissolves into a pile of dust...which will be properly disposed of in a river:)

rfomlover 08-26-2012 03:16 PM

I got the skype. Thanks. Also, yeah unfortunately mine is all bent up from shipping on the exterior, but the interior is fine and it runs beautifully. I think it is safe to conclude that my hard drive was damaged from shipping since it kept getting corrupted but no bother, I put another in as I have plenty of spares runs great.