New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro Bootcamp w/2 drives?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aeser

aeser is on a distinguished road

After crashing my year old macbook pro about 10 times working on a logic project this weekend, and wanting a Windows gaming desktop for a while now, I'm strongly considering getting a Mac Pro, and throwing 2 2tb SATA drives in it and trying to run bootcamp with OSX on one drive and Win7 on the other.

Anyone have any experience running bootcamp like this? does it run well? I've heard iffy things about bootcamp so far and just wondering if it's not even worth it or if anyone's having decent success and stability running it like this?

Any known bugs running Win7 on a Mac Pro?

Guess I'm looking for someone to talk me into or out of it.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
After crashing my year old macbook pro about 10 times working on a logic project this weekend, and wanting a Windows gaming desktop for a while now, I'm strongly considering getting a Mac Pro, and throwing 2 2tb SATA drives in it and trying to run bootcamp with OSX on one drive and Win7 on the other.
Why spend a whole bunch of $$$ on a Mac Pro to use it as a gaming machine? Just buy a Windows gaming machine or build one yourself for a great deal less.

Of course that's up to you.....
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

For quite a while I ran with it on a Mac Pro. I had OSX on my main drive which I used for daily tasks, video work, some OSX gaming, programming, etc., then 2 data drives and the third drive was my Windows bootcamp drive that I used for gaming.

The biggest issue is the GPU. The Mac Pro is quite powerful for gaming but the GPU's that Apple sells currently are rather far behind in capabilities. It is possible to get some other models of GPU's that will work in the Mac Pro with current versions of OSX and some people have a cheap card to display in OSX and a better card for gaming in windows.

Unless you really need the horsepower of a Mac Pro for what you do in OSX (I can't really comment, I've never used Logic) you may want to consider a less expensive Mac for your OSX work and as Chscag suggests put the extra money towards a gaming powerhouse.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 5.1 dolby digital surround sound from imac | deleting file icons saved to desktop »