New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Mini i5 or C2D??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PC guy123

PC guy123 is on a distinguished road

I am looking to replace my PC that was damaged due to lightning and have decided to go with a Mac Mini instead (I'm using an old G4 ibook now to type this post).

Mini will be used for web surfing, photos, video and games like Minecraft, Roblox, Simms, etc (maybe some Steam games like Skyrim as well). Looking to buy either the 2011 2.3ghz i5 or the 2010 2.66ghz Core 2 Dual w/optical drive. Which ever one I buy, will be upgraded to 8gb ram (16gb if I get the 2.3ghz i5). The 2.5ghz is a bit too expensive.

Any suggestions would be great. Can't wait for the 2012 models.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC guy123 View Post
I am looking to replace my PC that was damaged due to lightning and have decided to go with a Mac Mini instead (I'm using an old G4 ibook now to type this post).

Mini will be used for web surfing, photos, video and games like Minecraft, Roblox, Simms, etc (maybe some Steam games like Skyrim as well). Looking to buy either the 2011 2.3ghz i5 or the 2010 2.66ghz Core 2 Dual w/optical drive. Which ever one I buy, will be upgraded to 8gb ram (16gb if I get the 2.3ghz i5). The 2.5ghz is a bit too expensive.

Any suggestions would be great. Can't wait for the 2012 models.
That right there kinda moves you toward the 2010 model. The general advice is to purchase the MOST computer you can afford. So if the 2010 Core2Duo fits your budget, that will do what you need..

The 2012's will not be cheaper than the current models available..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
PC guy123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
That right there kinda moves you toward the 2010 model. The general advice is to purchase the MOST computer you can afford. So if the 2010 Core2Duo fits your budget, that will do what you need..

The 2012's will not be cheaper than the current models available..

Thanks! How much faster is the 2011 vs 2010? Seems that the 2.66ghz C2D refurbs on Apple site, are more expensive than the 2.3ghz i5. If the i5 is a better system, I can buy an external dvd drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Both the 2010 and 2011 models are dual cores, just different generations. Purely based on that, I'd say the i5 is "better" than the Core2Duo..even if the Core2Duo is rated at a higher speed..

Definitely do look at the refurb store where you can get the newer models at reduced prices..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
PC guy123

Apple has the 2010 refurb for $549 and the i5 2.3ghz at $519. Guess the $30 extra cost is because of the optical drive.

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
jetmech1

jetmech1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB

I would go with the i5. Also upgrade the memory to 4 or 8 for better performance. My i5 Mac Mini scores a little better on the Geek Bench chart than my Mac Pro. Our Mini plays all the games my kids like with ease.

Mac Mini - 2.5 GHz i5 - 8 GB - 128 GB SSD & 1 TB HD - 2 Apple 23" LCD
15.4" Unibody MBP - 2 MacBook Airs
2 iPads, 3 iPhones, 3 iPods, 1 Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Display fades | Your input on a new iMac purchase »