Specs:
    15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
    3TB in PowerMac?
    I have a PowerMac G5 running Leopard server as my home file server, and i'm looking to start backing up my media center's media collection to a secondary source, so i was thinking about adding a large drive to the tower. I know with Windows machines, a special driver is needed for Windows to see internal drives larger than 2TB. Is this the same with OSX? I have one more drive slot in the PowerMac, so i was thinking a 3TB would suffice and give me space as my collection grows down the road.

I also was going to have the media from the PowerMac, when i put the backup drive in, able to stream to other computers in the house for viewing via SMB with XBMC.

Anyone have any opinions on either my first question or my 2nd idea? Thanks
    -Matt

Hi Matt

In answer to your first question, i'm using a 3TB (seagate) drive in my 1.8Ghz single G5 (Leopard desktop) to store pictures and it works fine no problems, formats at 2.7TB.

sorry can't answer your second idea.

Simon

Specs:
    Thanks for answering my question Simon, I actually ran a test this past weekend with a much smaller drive in my G5 and the streaming works great. So now all i need to do is get that 3TB. Thanks so much, i appreciate it!
    -Matt

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by watlings View Post
    Hi Matt

In answer to your first question, i'm using a 3TB (seagate) drive in my 1.8Ghz single G5 (Leopard desktop) to store pictures and it works fine no problems, formats at 2.7TB.

sorry can't answer your second idea.

Simon
    I have one more question for you too, just thought of it not too long ago. How do you have your 3TB formatted and partitioned? Like is it GUID or Apple Partition Map? I know to run OSX on the PowerMacs, the drive has to be in APM, but i wasn't sure if that's the same with connected storage drives as well.
    -Matt

Hi Matt

its formatted using Mac OS extended journaled, i'm not knowledgeable enough to make any comment on weather this is the most appropriate.

Simon

Specs:
    Yea that sounds about right, I just placed my order for the 3TB today, so i'll have that thing up and running soon i hope. Thanks again for your response
    -Matt

Thread Information