Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   Anti Virus (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/280965-anti-virus.html)

keflin2612 08-02-2012 05:59 AM

Anti Virus
 
Hi,
Could someone recommend a good anti virus program for the iMac please.
Cheers Kev.

dtravis7 08-02-2012 06:01 AM

If you are even the least bit careful you probably will not need one, but if you want one just in case, the free ClamXav is as good as anything and does not take a lot of resources to run.

keflin2612 08-02-2012 09:23 AM

Cheers Dennis, much obliged.
Kev

NewtotheMacs 08-05-2012 03:35 PM

So ClamXav is the best solution as far as antivirus software goes?

I've had my Macbook Pro (Mid-2009) for almost 3 years now, and have never had a problem with it until recently. I only had 8GB of disk memory left, so I bought an external to free up some space with the hopes of an increase in performance. It didn't work, and my Macbook Pro is still running slow.

Some people have recommended that I increase my RAM, and have said that will help. What do you all think? Why all the sudden do I need more RAM? It was fast when I bought it.

Thoughts/comments?

harryb2448 08-05-2012 05:22 PM

Answered elsewhere in your own thread.

Raz0rEdge 08-05-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewtotheMacs (Post 1433802)
So ClamXav is the best solution as far as antivirus software goes?

I've had my Macbook Pro (Mid-2009) for almost 3 years now, and have never had a problem with it until recently. I only had 8GB of disk memory left, so I bought an external to free up some space with the hopes of an increase in performance. It didn't work, and my Macbook Pro is still running slow.

Some people have recommended that I increase my RAM, and have said that will help. What do you all think? Why all the sudden do I need more RAM? It was fast when I bought it.

Thoughts/comments?

When you bought your Mac, you definitely had a lot more free space and likely less programs. If you maintain a decent amount about 20% of your HD free then you won't take a hit in perfermonce.

Now, adding RAM isnt your fix if things were working well before. You need to clear up more space on your primary HD by moving stuff to the external HD that you got.

keflin2612 08-06-2012 05:17 AM

Have I missed something or has another thread been started here.
Kev.

Raz0rEdge 08-06-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keflin2612 (Post 1434030)
Have I missed something or has another thread been started here.
Kev.

Nope, as far your question goes @dtravis7 gave you the answer..

harryb2448 08-06-2012 06:05 PM

Sorry OP that was to NewtotheMacs who had asked that question in his own thread.

NewtotheMacs 08-08-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge (Post 1433869)
When you bought your Mac, you definitely had a lot more free space and likely less programs. If you maintain a decent amount about 20% of your HD free then you won't take a hit in perfermonce.

Now, adding RAM isnt your fix if things were working well before. You need to clear up more space on your primary HD by moving stuff to the external HD that you got.

Thanks for the feedback. I now have 38GB available on my HD, but it is still not performing to it's potential. I'm thinking I need to upgrade my RAM to a 4 or 8GB. That should speed things up quite a bit.

Thanks again for the replies.

bobtomay 08-08-2012 08:22 PM

Being down to 8GB free space and just deleting 30GB of data from your drive, my recommendation would be iDefrag. Think you may gain more speed back with it than upgrading your RAM at this point.

If you don't have at least 4GB RAM, that would be a good idea also.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.