New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac won't turn on

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HikariBH

HikariBH is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo (Early 2006)

Just yesterday my iMac stopped working. I was using it, then went to tend to my baby daughter, and when I returned, it was off. Now It won't even turn on anymore. Why has it done this? I checked the power lead and I have even left it unplugged overnight with nothing attached (like USB's) and still nothing.....

I have a intel iMac 2006 with iSight.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikariBH View Post
Now It won't even turn on anymore. Why has it done this?
This sounds like a hardware failure - could be power supply or motherboard.
QUOTE Thanks
HikariBH

I'm going to try and check the plug fuse first. Hope it's not internal....not sure what I would do if it was.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Power Supplies are "somewhat easy" to replace.
Don't know how to confirm it is just the power supply without swapping the power supply!
iMac G5/Intel Power Supply (661-3780) - iFixit
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

The power supply in your iMac is running while mains is applied. You can meter the output for 12V to determine if it has failed. Only Friday had one, apparently dead. Dropped another one in to check all else was OK, that was dead too. This was the exception, but something else had failed and was current limiting the power supply. Mostly it's the power supply that fails.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
HikariBH

Well just changed the fuse in the plug and as soon as I turned the plug on, we heard a pop.....we heard this pop before actually when I wasn't at my mac (tending to my daughter), but we just thought it was the plastic on a water bottle that had popped out or something (one was on my desk near the mac). So it's something internally that has gone as we retried the fuse in another plug and it worked fine. So could it be the power supply inside?
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

All I can say is it's "probably" the power supply.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How offen does apple do events like WWDC? | iMac won't shutdown or restart »