New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

video memory increase

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

keflin2612

keflin2612 is on a distinguished road

Hi all, this is my first post so please go gentle with me, I have just purchased an iMac 27"
with this spec
PROCESSOR 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
MEMORY 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
HARD DRIVE 1TB Serial ATA Drive
GRAPHICS AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

I tried to load a game this evening and got this message
Your system is not compliant with the minimum requirements".

It's showing that the problem is my Video Memory (MB) which is at 134MB
The message goes on to say that I need a minimum of 256MB

Can someone tell me please how I can increase my Video Memory.

Thanks and kind regards Kev.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

You have 2GB Video RAM which is many times 256 MB they are recommending. Something strange is going on if the numbers you are saying are correct. Which game is this?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keflin2612 View Post

I tried to load a game this evening and got this message
Your system is not compliant with the minimum requirements".
Tell us what game it is...then we can verify the games system requirements. My guess's are:

- It's either an old game that is not compatible with newer Macintosh hardware.
- It's a game that may not be compatible with a newer Mac OS version.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
keflin2612

Thanks guy's for your swift replies.
The game is Silent Hunter 5 which is a windows based game and which I couldn't get to work on my new Mac as I'm a total novis with the Mac, I am just upgrading from a PC. So I did a google search and a program called PlayOnMac was suggested which I downloaded and installed. It did load the game but the message about the Video Memory came up just before the end of the installation and I'm not sure if it completed properly.

Cheers Kev.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The game is Silent Hunter 5 which is a windows based game and which I couldn't get to work on my new Mac as I'm a total novis with the Mac, I am just upgrading from a PC. So I did a google search and a program called PlayOnMac was suggested which I downloaded and installed.
I'm not familiar with how effective "PlayOnMac" is...but two other ways to play Windows only games on a Mac are:

1. Via a Windows emulation program called Parallels or VmWare Fusion.
2. Via a Windows partition on your Mac via Bootcamp.

If you're not familiar with these...please give Google a try first...then come back with more questions.

And/or...please read these:

Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide
Bootcamp: Save yourself possibly hours of time:

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
keflin2612

Nick, thanks for your answer.
No, I'm not familiar with Parallels or VmWare Fusion, I take it these are two separate program's.
I haven't got a clue how to do a partition and I've never heard of Bootcamp these are thingsI will have to learn about as time goes on and I get a bit more experience on the Mac.
I will take your advice and do a google search and see how I get on.
Thanks again Kev
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I will take your advice and do a google search and see how I get on.
Thanks again Kev
Many of these programs or procedures have been around for quite a while...so there are lots & lots of articles & DIY info about them.

Give as much as you can a read...then come back if there are things that are confusing.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
keflin2612

OK will do Nick, cheers
Kev.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A few Mac Mini questions | Need help with a budget second hand machine. »