New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

imac wont boot!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aarong

aarong is on a distinguished road

I have a intel imac from 2010. About a week ago the imac stopped booting osx but continued to let me use windows on a separate partition of the same hard drive. I have erased, reformatted, verified and repaired the hard drive using disk utility and reinstalled osx (10.6) the smart status is also verified.

The mac will still not boot. However if i put the imac into firewire mode my macbook will boot using the imac's hard drive. Ruling out a problem with the hard drive itself.

Also putting the macbook into firewire mode and booting the imac from the macbook's hard drive also works! So i really dont know what the problem can be?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

That is extremely odd. My only real suggestion right now is to try resetting the PRAM. It stores a number of settings, including some related to the startup disk.
Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help I am new, I have a few questions | Mac MIni as external hard drive? »