New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

External SSD on Imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

misteriley

misteriley is on a distinguished road

Hi there, first post this so please bear with me, just bought a fantastic 2010 i3 27" imac 8gb ram on ebay with 15 months applecare thrown in 800!, so i want to keep the warranty in tact...

Now I've been thinking of attaching an 'external' SSD I know it's better to have it in the imac but I don't want to void the applecare, so the questions i have please are:

1) should I boot from it (should I install lion directly and is this easy enough)
2) should I also boot all apps from it (Cs6)
3) What minimum size (for cost) would be good)
4) no thunderbolt so whats the next best connection

Appreciate All and any feedback.
Tkae care
& thanks in advance.

S )
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

As you're going to have to connect it by USB2 I'd question whether you will see much, if any, benefit from SSD

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
misteriley

misteriley is on a distinguished road

why couldn't I use the firewire ?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by misteriley View Post
why couldn't I use the firewire ?
I'd forgotten about firewire, but the same is true. I'd really doubt you'd get the performance you're after.

Happy to be corrected if someone actually runs an external as a permanent boot drive

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

My sister will be running her boot drive from an external FW400 drive as her SATA cable or card has bit the dust. It will be somewhat slower, but with what she uses it for, she won't even notice. FW800 should have some benefit over the FW400, but unless you are a power user, it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman is a jewel in the roughLightcraftsman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

I ran my wife's 2011 Mac Mini off a 240GB SSD connected through FW 800, and it was significantly faster than running off the internal 750GB 7200 RPM drive. Apps and files opened instantly. Open and Save times in PhotoShop dropped in half. Just make sure you get a self-powered enclosure for the SSD. The Mac Mini woke up very grumpy when I ran the SSD bus-powered.

"It's got to come from the heart, if you want it to work."
Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

With FW800 you wont' see much speed difference in normal usage. This is from experience installing OS Versions I was testing on an external and leaving my internal intact.
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

Mac Specs: 15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

That's interesting, Dennis, because it is exactly the opposite of my experience. Starting the computer and launching apps is disk I/O intensive and this happened much quicker using the SSD in a FW 800 enclosure. Platter-based drives slow to a crawl when reading small files. SSDs do not get nearly as slow. When your drive is reading well below FW 800 speeds the SSD will give you a performance boost even in an external enclosure.

My next trick will be getting a LaCie eSATA Thunderbolt hub and connecting my SSD to my iMac through that.

Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Remember all my experience is with 7200 RPM normal drives. But, FW800 has a certain limit speed wise and any Internal SATA is faster in tests anyway. It all depends on what one does or expects.

I would never use a USB 2 external though for running the OS from. USB 2 just does not cut it. USB 3 would be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

That makes sense. My iMac is much faster opening apps and files than my wife's Mac Mini even though both have 7200 RPM drives. The Mini, of course, uses 2.5-inch drives which are slower than 3.5-inch drives. USB 2 is painfully slow when used as a boot drive. That's why I bought a FW enclosure for my 2.5 inch drives. I haven't tested USB 3 yet but the speed should be much faster than FW 800.

Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« small wavy lines on early 2008 iMac screen | display issue »