New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac MIni as external hard drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xmoewex

xmoewex is on a distinguished road

Can a mac mini be used as a network hard rive and a usable computer at the same time? Every article i read about using one as an external requires booting it up special.

My goal would be to hook a Mac mini via FireWire to my airport extreme and to my tv in the living room. Using it as media center in the living room, as well as a media resource for our other macs in the house. We'd like to be able to store stuff and access stuff over the network.

Any advice on this would be great. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I'm fairly certain that none of Apple's Airport routers have a Firewire port. Why not just enable file sharing on the Mac mini? That would effectively make it a networked hard drive.
Mac 101: File Sharing

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
xmoewex

xmoewex is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that. Question with file sharing... Can I then dump files from all my other computers onto the Mac mini as well as just access the shared files? The goal would ultimately be to download files from the 2 Mac book pros and iMac and save them all to one central location accessible by all and most importantly playable on the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I'm fairly certain that none of Apple's Airport routers have a Firewire port. Why not just enable file sharing on the Mac mini? That would effectively make it a networked hard drive.
Mac 101: File Sharing
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmoewex View Post
Thanks for that. Question with file sharing... Can I then dump files from all my other computers onto the Mac mini as well as just access the shared files? The goal would ultimately be to download files from the 2 Mac book pros and iMac and save them all to one central location accessible by all and most importantly playable on the TV.
Yes. Just enable the file sharing option to use AFP and the mount point will automatically show up in the Finder's sidebar on all Macs on your network.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac wont boot! | Macpro keyboard »