New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac PPC G5 start problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mcuaine

mcuaine is on a distinguished road

I am a new to mac user, having switched from PCs about a month ago. I have a Power Mac G5 running OS X 10.5.8 that has start up problems - If I restart it will using do fine, but if I shut down, and power off, the thing has very annoying habits - I am so impressed with the G5 when it works that I bought another last week - it has no bad habits, but the first when powered on will display the white light, then either do nothing, or start the fans up, occasionally speeding them up to louder than the AC in the office. Nothing else happens - it does not boot up, just makes a noise with the fans.

Sometimes, if I leave it be for ten minutes or more, it will start up, do the chord sound, and within a couple of minutes I am up and running. However, on occasion, leaving for two hours gets nothing but varying fan speeds - no chord sound, no boot up.

The other G5 with the same OS X 10.5.8 works as I would expect. Power on, press the button, within a minute it is booted and running. I would like the other to do this, as it has a much larger hard drive and more memory, It appears to be getting worse - this morning I had to try five times, powering off and on, to get any response. Anyone any idea what is wrong?

I do not yet regard myself as experienced with Macs and do not know much about them, so simple answers would be appreciated.

MacPro
OS X 10.6.8
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Sounds very much like you have a dead power supply in the G5. Subject to them being the same model G5 you could swap the drives and memory about. There are five distinct PowerMac G5 models and some of the later ones use different memory, either PC-3200 or PC-4200.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
watlings

watlings is on a distinguished road

Hi

My G5 seems to do the same, all attempts at finding the root cause have failed, my solution is not to turn it off, it sleeps and wakes on demand with no problems, so far after 6 months its running great and used every day :-) now with 3TB second drive.

hope this helps.

life is better with a G5

Simon
QUOTE Thanks
mcuaine

Thanks for the replies - not particularly what I wanted to hear, . I will keep it running and see what happens. I will probably end up taking the drive out, and the memory and putting them in the other one.

MacPro
OS X 10.6.8
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

Try resetting the SMU. and PRAM. I had similar issues when i got my G5 this cleared it up

SMU
How to reset the SMU on a Power Mac G5 (Late 2004) or Power Mac G5 (Late 2005)

PRAM
Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
mcuaine

How does one tell which version of G5 one has, to get the right reset on the SMU?

MacPro
OS X 10.6.8
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Go to About this Mac under the apple icon in the Menu Bar, More Info and details should be there.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac g5 power issues | Help I am new, I have a few questions »