New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

imac fan

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mascot

mascot is on a distinguished road

Hi I have a 3 year old imac which has worked fine until now (just after the end of my extended warranty!!) I have never heard the fan come on since I've had the machine.
Now I have switched on and the fan is on constantly, this is after it had been off all night and believe me it's not that hot in the UK any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Since an iMac is a challenge to open and have a look inside, all I can suggest is to check the intake vents at the bottom of the display to make certain they're not clogged. Also check the exhaust vents at the top.

And reset the System Management Controller (SMC). Do the following:

Shut down your iMac and remove the AC cord from the mains. Leave it set for awhile (around 5 to 10 minutes). Plug it back in. If the fan(s) have not quieted down, there may be something else causing them to spin up.

There are three fans in your iMac: CPU, HDD, Optical Drive. Download the free iStat Pro widget and use it to monitor the fans speeds and temperatures. Let us know what they are. Here is the download LINK.
QUOTE Thanks
mascot

Thanks for your reply HD is 36 and cpu is 28. but the fan comes on all the time even after being switched off all night so it should all be cool
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Those temperatures are normal. The three fans in your iMac will be spinning at all times, however, the rate of rotation will vary with the ambient temperatures.

My three fans as of right now (temperature outside is currently 106 F) are spinning at approximately 1000 to 1200 RPM. (My home has central air conditioning.)
QUOTE Thanks
mascot

Hi Many thanks for your help. I vacuumed the vents top and bottom switched it on and no fans so hopefully it's all sorted thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Files Disappear from Hard Drive | I can't add printer on mac 10.7 »