New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Please help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

madboi9o2

madboi9o2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Macintosh G4 Not currently working, so i'm using a Windows 7 Quad Core

I have A Power Macintosh G4, and when I press the power button, I hear the fan go on for about 1.5 secs, then stops. Last night it booted up just fine, but this morning I hooked up my monitor up to it and it didn't boot up. I think this is because last night I pressed the PMU reset button. If you can help me I would be happy!
Just right now I pressed the PMU reset button again, waited 10 minutes, then booted it up. Same result.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Try resetting parameter RAM - hold command-option-p-r all at same time on restart - until you hear a second startup sound.
QUOTE Thanks
madboi9o2

Mac Specs: Power Macintosh G4 Not currently working, so i'm using a Windows 7 Quad Core

Um... I cant get it to boot up, thees nothing in it, not even ram or a hard drive
I also don't have a Apple Keyboard, since my family uses Windows, mostly
QUOTE Thanks
madboi9o2

All that happens when i press the power button is- Fan starts up for about 30 secs then stops. The Smartboard D15 light doesn't come on so I know it doesn't get power. It might be because it's plugged in to a power strip, which is plugged in to another power strip, which is plugged into ANOTHER power strip.
QUOTE Thanks
madboi9o2

Hey could you translate the keys into windows, like "Command" is basicaly say "Ctrl", for me and i'l try that
that's not going to work. The keyboard is connected to the Smart board and that's not getting any power. The fan is connected straight to the power supply
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Remove all the power strips that is inviting trouble. Plug directly into a good mains socket and if still no boot time to write it off. Simply just not worth spending money on when G5's are so cheap.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by madboi9o2 View Post
Um... I cant get it to boot up, thees nothing in it, not even ram or a hard drive
I also don't have a Apple Keyboard, since my family uses Windows, mostly
If I am understanding right and there is no hard drive or memory installed it is not going to boot.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Wonder if we been trolled? No memory, no hard drive, no keyboard and perhaps no mouse and wonder why no boot?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
madboi9o2

I'm a computer expert, and I just want to access the motherboard settings, ok?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Phew! Glad you have the expertise to solve your problem, 'cause I'm at a loss.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
If you're thinking about "BIOS" settings...Mac's don't have BIOS.

You also haven't told us if this computer is ever worked for you...or if this computer is "new to you"...and this problem "came" with the computer.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
madboi9o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Phew! Glad you have the expertise to solve your problem, 'cause I'm at a loss.
Um, I'm a Windows expert, not a Mac Expert, that's why i'm posting on these fourms, smart one
QUOTE Thanks
madboi9o2

Nick, The other night- It started up just fine without a monitor, keyboard,mouse,hard drive, and ram. By itself.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Quote:
Um, I'm a Windows expert, not a Mac Expert, that's why i'm posting on these fourms, smart one
See the difference?
Sorry, I'm too much of a literalist.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« stuck cd | Upgrade Mac Pro 4.1 »