I think my HD crashed - can you help me interpret?
    In a matter of about an hour my i7 iMac went from running great, to freezing up (everything but mouse cursor), to not booting. I ran the hardware test and it detected the following error, "4MOT/4/40000003:HDD-1225". I then ran the extended hardware test and it reported the same error but with a slightly higher number on the end, 1239.

I have searched that error message and get posts about harddrive's going bad to various fan's malfunctioning.

Is anyone familiar with that type of error message and do you think a HDD swap would be the fix? I've never had to crack open an imac before but I do have experience swapping parts...

Contemplating using this crash as excuse to install an SSD.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    If your iMac is still under AppleCare, you might want to make use of that and see if you can get the HDD replaced or the actual fault diagnosed if it isn't the HDD..

Depending on the year of your iMac, you might have to get specific HDD because of some firmware that was added, the wrong HDD will make the fan spin up and other annoying behavior..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    If your iMac is still under AppleCare, you might want to make use of that and see if you can get the HDD replaced or the actual fault diagnosed if it isn't the HDD..

Depending on the year of your iMac, you might have to get specific HDD because of some firmware that was added, the wrong HDD will make the fan spin up and other annoying behavior..
    Thanks for the reply. I should have noted that the computer is no longer under apple care. Also, data recovery is not required due to external backup.

I'm just hoping someone might be able to confirm that the error code really just pertains to the HDD.

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    If this came with Lion go into Recovery, select the hard drive and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. If Snow Leopard use the DVD by booting holding down 'C', into Utilities in the Menu Bar, select Disk utility and again run Repair Disk. Keep us posted?
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    If this came with Lion go into Recovery, select the hard drive and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. If Snow Leopard use the DVD by booting holding down 'C', into Utilities in the Menu Bar, select Disk utility and again run Repair Disk. Keep us posted?
    No luck using the original install dvd - computer freezes up/attempts to load perpetually when C is held down. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thread Information