New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Anyone purchased a refurbished Power Mac??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VakeJ

VakeJ is on a distinguished road

Hello:

I was looking into purchasing an Apple computer. I was originally going to purchase the Mac Mini, but have seen the huge savings on Apple's site for refurbished power macs. Granted, the mac mini is still considerable cheaper, but I'm willing to spend the extra money for a power mac dual 1.8 or 2.0. I work a lot with databases, so it would probably be better.

Anyway, has anyone purchased a refurbished power mac? A fews folks have told me "don't ever buy refurbished." The prices seem very attractive. Just interested in opinions with refurbished power macs...

thanks,
VJ

I did a search, and wasn't with the responses
QUOTE Thanks
DigitalN.

I'd personally travel to a large city or somewhere there is an Apple Store or certified retail outlet. that way you know what you are getting.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VakeJ
I did a search, and wasn't with the responses
Then I would say you didn't search well enough ^_-

buying refurbished

Refurbished ibook purchase

Powerbook or iMac G5?

G5 capabilities

These are just a few of the responses. The entire list for the search term "refurbished" is here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sea...earchid=382192

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
VakeJ

VakeJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Then I would say you didn't search well enough
those links focus on powerbooks and imacs, not for power macs. i've read them, and it didn't answer my question. There is no harm in asking a similar question if there is the potential for others to post new experiences. In this case experiences with refurbished power macs.

My question focuses on past experiences, not on technical support, in which the search function is helpful. Your comment is warranted if I posted "how do a plug my ipod into my pc."

Hey, but thanks anyways....
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

The comment was meant to be light-hearted, but still those other threads are valid.
I myself have purchased refurbished Macs, as well as others here on this forum. The refurbished program is the same no matter WHAT model you purchase. Each refurbed Mac must pass a stringent battery of tests before it is put up for sale. For that reason, you are in some cases better off buying a refurb. Those threads and others like it found using the search would have explained how the refurb process works, the many benefits of it and why it is a good idea to go with a refurb.
I'm sorry if you misconstrued my comment as some sort of insult, but maybe I was a bit unclear about what you were asking. If you wanted people's opinions on their personal experiences with buying refurbished Macs, then those threads should have proven helpful. Yes, I understand that sometimes when searching you do get some threads that may not be directly related to your initial search, but there are still plenty of them that would have and do give you the answers you seek.

:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

alot of sites out there for refurbed old macs and stuff.....look in Macworld and Macaddict magazines....you can find a good site in there.... ie www.powermax.com
ive bought quite a few used things from there...great site.
QUOTE Thanks
dwd3885

i've purchased two refurbished powermacs, both rev b Dual 2ghz ones. And it is excellent I must say. This last time, they forgot to give me Tiger, but they overnighted it and it arrived one day later after I called them. The thing is, you get better than advertised specs most of the time too. Out of the two I ordered, both came with 1gb of Ram instead of the advertised 512, and one came with the 9600XT vid card, instead of the 5200 FX card.

And at just 1449, get one! 8 ram slots, and all, it's the best deal at apple right now
QUOTE Thanks
dwd3885

On second thought, don't do it!!!!!

Mine is having major problems. Chirping, power supply noises. Apparently the dual core powermacs do not have this issue. You have to do some tweeking to get the noises to stop on the rev. a, b and c PMs, but it is not recommended. And quite frankly, you shouldn't have to do it to have a functioning computer.

I'm returning my refurb and getting a Dual Core
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is the iMac G5 hard drive user replaceable? | Mac Mini Boot Problem, Help! »