New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

New To Imac and in need of a little help/info

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dennis L

I just recently purchased an imac G3 333mhz and all it has is a CD rom drive...i see super drives on ebay and other web sites but am wondering if i order a super drive will it work with my mac? and currently its running OS 9 ...which version of OS X can i upgrade to? and is it easy to partition a new hard drive? thanks
QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

hondagus87 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: New MACBOOK

Why not just get an external and use patchburn if you plan on upgrading to OSX?
QUOTE Thanks
Dennis L

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondagus87
Why not just get an external and use patchburn if you plan on upgrading to OSX?
i was wondering about the super drive because ive read that it can read/write every thing from DVD ram to Cd-r and i can geta super drive for under $50 , an external CD R/RW's an external DVd r/rw's go between $70 and $150
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

The tray loading imac takes a special cd drive, you cant slap any old aftermarket cd drive into it. MCE makes one that fits:http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

A 333 G3 imac can run up to Panther 10.3.9
Remember you need to partition so that you have the first partition at just under 8 gig to install OS X.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Dennis L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom
The tray loading imac takes a special cd drive, you cant slap any old aftermarket cd drive into it. MCE makes one that fits:http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

A 333 G3 imac can run up to Panther 10.3.9
Remember you need to partition so that you have the first partition at just under 8 gig to install OS X.
i was looking at slot loading super drives on ebay...would one of them work?
QUOTE Thanks
ISD

So how far can a G3 350mhz be upgraded to? It currently has 64mb RAM, but I know it needs more
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis L
i was looking at slot loading super drives on ebay...would one of them work?
Probably not. As mentioned, the tray-load CD drives used in these models was specific to the iMac, shared only with the powerbook. The slot-load drive used on later iMacs is not interchangeable. The current MCE replacement model for the 333 rev D is a slot-load BUT it is a CD-RW, not a Superdrive. You are probably limited to an external drive if you want a superdrive.
QUOTE Thanks
Dennis L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
Probably not. As mentioned, the tray-load CD drives used in these models was specific to the iMac, shared only with the powerbook. The slot-load drive used on later iMacs is not interchangeable. The current MCE replacement model for the 333 rev D is a slot-load BUT it is a CD-RW, not a Superdrive. You are probably limited to an external drive if you want a superdrive.
I did some looking around, there seems to be quite a few powerbook DVD/ CD tray loading drives...would one of them work? heres a link to one of them, there are identical ones around...atleast 20 or so more http://cgi.ebay.com/Drive-SuperDrive...QQcmdZViewItem

And i was wondering...if i got a cat 5 cross over cable, would i be able to network os x panther with windows 2000 pro?
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

The drive shown is much too big to mount in an iMac G3. You could put it in an external USB case but it would never fit inside an iMac. Check out this site: http://www.djonmac.com/index.html. Look at the section on replacing the hard drive. It has some pics of the internal components.
QUOTE Thanks
Dennis L

Ive found a powerbook DVD rom drive...heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT would that work in my imac G3?
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

I can't find any specific info for this swap so I can't give you an absolute yes or no but it looks good. The original iMacs were never designed for a DVD-ROM so it may not work, even if it installs. If it were mine I'd give it a shot. You'll have to use the brackets & faceplate from the existing drive but that shouldn't be a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Dennis L

heres a DVD rom i found that ends christmas day http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
but (hopefully) i can get somebody's opinion...its from a power book G3 ...oh and i ordered another G3...instead of a 333 i got a 450 (for both imacs + s/h = $80 roughly)
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Have you taken the old one out yet? Compare it to the pics you've been posting, will make things a lot easier.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Dennis L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom
Have you taken the old one out yet? Compare it to the pics you've been posting, will make things a lot easier.
i havent even gotten it in yet...i oredered it on ebay, im waiting for it though
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

The slot-loaders and tray-loaders use different drives. To see what the drive looks like: http://www.shrevesystems.com/drives.html. Go about halfway down in the right column; there is a combo drive for the slot-loaders.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini Trouble | new imac -- universal voltage or not »