New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Spinning gear at startup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Des

Des is on a distinguished road

Have an old iMac late 2006 that I was handing down to my daughter after purchasing an iMac Mini and learning the hard way that I could not use the iMac monitor as a monitor for the Mini (after being told it was possible by the Apple store sales person).

The issue is that it does not seem to be able to find the startup disk. I've tried all of the Apple advised methods including re-installing the OS. After re-install, I was happy to see that it restarted from the CD to the HD and I appeared to be back in business. Unfortunately I got the rainbow freeze and haven't been able to get back on since.

In my attempt to use the iMac as the monitor for the Mini, I may have confused the system as to which drive it wants. But when I restart with the Option key pressed, it offers my HD as a startup option but will not boot to it.

It would be odd timing to be a hardware issue but I'm reading that SATA cable could be a culprit and possibly the logic board.

Any thoughts would be appreciate as it would make a great bedroom computer for my 14 year old.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
It would be odd timing to be a hardware issue but I'm reading that SATA cable could be a culprit and possibly the logic board.
If you can successfully boot the computer from an OS disk...and have trouble booting from the hard drive...it could be that the hard drive has failed or is failing (maybe time for a new HD).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Des

Not worth investing in a new HD for a 6 year old machine though.
QUOTE Thanks
Des

Have an old iMac late 2006 that I was handing down to my daughter after purchasing an iMac Mini and learning the hard way that I could not use the iMac monitor as a monitor for the Mini (after being told it was possible by the Apple store sales person).

The issue is that it does not seem to be able to find the startup disk. I've tried all of the Apple advised methods including re-installing the OS. After re-install, I was happy to see that it restarted from the CD to the HD and I appeared to be back in business. Unfortunately I got the rainbow freeze and haven't been able to get back on since.

In my attempt to use the iMac as the monitor for the Mini, I may have confused the system as to which drive it wants. But when I restart with the Option key pressed, it offers my HD as a startup option but will not boot to it.

Any thoughts would be appreciate as it would make a great bedroom computer for my 14 year old.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Merged threads - please do not crosspost.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Why is that? A new Hard Drive is not that much $$$.
QUOTE Thanks
Des

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Why is that? A new Hard Drive is not that much $$$.
I'm seeing 3rd party options for $400+. 500gb
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A new or used HD would cost less than $50 bucks. I see plenty on Craig's List very cheap (and they operate fine).

A new HD only seems expensive when you aren't aware of all your options.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
You're clearly looking in the wrong places...and you don't need a 500gig drive.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
No way. Try $100 or less. That is a SATA drive. Are you looking at SSDs?

Is that G5 iMac the iSight Model? 2006? You sure it's a G5?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148432
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

One VERY quick example ($37.99):

Newegg.com - Seagate Pipeline HD ST3160316CS 160GB 5900 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

- Nick

p.s. And like I said...you could probably pick up a lightly used HD off Craig's List for $20 or less. Some folks don't like buying used HD's...but hey...you're installing it into a 6 year-old computer!

QUOTE Thanks
Des

Thanks everyone. I'm on it!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB backup drive won't mount | Suddenly no audio output via external speakers »