New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

No start up after power surge on 17" intel iMac - Only flickering sleep light.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dkaff

dkaff is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

There was a power outage in my area a few nights ago. After the power was restored I noticed that my wife's 17" Late 2006 intel iMac won't power up. I tried unplugging it, restarting, clearing the PRAM etc., but still nothing. I have noticed on occasion though that the sleep light comes on very dimly when the computer is supposed to be on. I was just wondering if anyone could help me figure out what the problem might be. Oh, and did have it connected to a surge protector when this happened.

Thanks,

David
QUOTE Thanks
macmacattack

macmacattack is on a distinguished road

Have you tried a different surge protector or going straight into the wall?
QUOTE Thanks
dkaff

Yes, actually tried to plug it directly into a wall outlet and still nothing.....
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Sometimes power surges are enough to overpower even surge protectors and fry your precious electronics, I have a feeling this is what happened in your case. Any number of things could've fried within the Mac, power supply, logic board, HD, etc. Since it's a 2006 Model, you probably are no longer covered under any warranty and the cost of repairs would likely be more than the computer is actually worth.

Sorry.

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks
dkaff

Hi MacDude121,

That's kind of what I'm afraid of. I was thinking about ordering a new power supply (for $150) and putting it in myself, but then what if it didn't solve the problem? I should try to take the hard drive out. Hopefully it isn't damaged as there are some important things on there that haven't been backed up lately (whoops.)

Thanks for your input!

David
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Before ordering a new power supply, remove the plug from the AC line and let the iMac sit for awhile. After 15 minutes or so, try to start it up again. If it still won't start go to iFixit: The free repair manual and take a look at the disassembly instructions to get at the power supply. It's not an easy repair.
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

I see a lot of power supply failures recently in iMac's using the 661-3780 psu such as yours, mostly after power surges. Apples replacement, same P/N, are of a different design.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
dkaff

Thanks chscag! I agree with you that it's not an easy repair. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point....
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You need to consider if it will be worth the time and money spent to repair your wife's iMac. It's a 2006 17" model which is not worth very much. You may wind up spending more money to repair it than it's worth. Of course, a new iMac at the very least is going to cost over $1000. Difficult choice to make.
QUOTE Thanks
dkaff

I tried to suggest that she take my 24" iMac and I would upgrade to a new 27", but she's not buying that idea so far - Hers is on the bar in our kitchen, it's white and looks more "kitchen friendly" than the newer, brushed aluminum models...
QUOTE Thanks
westom

westom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaff View Post
I was just wondering if anyone could help me figure out what the problem might be.
I could state exactly what was defective IF you had posted important numbers. Apparently your power system has failed. The power system is many components - not just a supply. One minute with a $7 meter means numbers from six wires. Then what has failed is quickly obvious.

For example, what decides if a power supply can power? The power controller. What would damage that? Well, a protector too far from earth ground and too close to a computer can bypass superior protection inside the PSU. Connect a surge to earth destrictuvely via other parts including the motherboard. Then the power controller would fail and not power on the PSU.

The one minute of labor can be defines only if you are interested. Most who work on computers are too afraid of the $7 meter. Ironic since iPads and iPhones are many times more complex.

Without numbers, then do the other choice. Just keep replacing good parts until something works. Also called shotgunning. You have two choices. Replace only the defective part. And actually learn how computers really work. Or shotgun. Without hard facts (ie numbers from a meter), then every reply can only be 'replace this or maybe replace that'.

Meanwhile, learn something from your experience. Read the manufacture specifications for that protector. It did exactly what the manufacturer said it would do. As with the meter, you must ask to learn more and to learn of solutions that can make future damage virtually impossible.
QUOTE Thanks
dkaff

Dear westom,

Thanks for your input. Yes, you are correct in that I didn't give you any numbers, important or otherwise. I was simply asking for suggestions. I've never used a multimeter, but am quite proficient in using both the iPad and iPhone, so it shouldn't be a big deal to use one. Thanks for challenging me to expand my knowledge! Perhaps I will be able to post some numbers soon.....
QUOTE Thanks
dkaff

Hello all,

I posted a similar question a few days ago regarding my iMac, but I have a new development. to summarize, there was a power outage a few days ago and my iMac hasn't powered on since. I had it plugged in to a surge protector and have gone through the steps to reset the PRAM, etc. I noticed earlier today that when I start the computer the led on the front panel glows fairly bright. When I plug the USB keyboard in, the light goes completely off. This makes me think that it may be the logic board (as opposed to the power supply.) Any suggestions or thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
dkaff

Hello all,

I posted a similar question a few days ago regarding my iMac, but I have a new development. to summarize, there was a power outage a few days ago and my iMac hasn't powered on since. I had it plugged in to a surge protector and have gone through the steps to reset the PRAM, etc. I noticed earlier today that when I start the computer the led on the front panel glows fairly bright. When I plug the USB keyboard in, the light goes completely off. This makes me think that it may be the logic board (as opposed to the power supply.) Any suggestions or thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Tell me something, was this Power outage just the power going out cleanly and coming back on later, or due to a Thunderstorm with a lot of Lightning?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any way to control my iMac '11 fan on Bootcamp? | Power MAC G4 display issues »